Sunday, January 16, 2022

Snapshots: Little Squirrels

My friend received a giant bag of pecans in the shell, third- or fourth-hand from someone's tree. She wisely concluded that there was no way she was going to be cracking all those shells to extract the pecans, and asked if I would like some. 

Sure! We have a nutcracker, and I have four little squirrels who enjoy nuts. 

The great benefit of nuts in the shell is that it's not just a snack, it's an event. 


Plus, it's a handy indicator of if a child is truly hungry, or just whiny. Because they'll only spend all that time cracking nuts if they really need the calories.

Of course, you can see that cracking nuts makes an incredible mess. But that's all part of the entertainment! Because then they have to spend some time cleaning up.


And in this way, a snack can stretch over a half-hour time period.

I noticed the other day that A. and I had both happened to leave our current books on the table together. The contrast was so amusing that I took a picture for you.


Bet you can guess which is A.'s and which is mine.

A. and I very, very rarely read the same book. Although those particular books are a bit misleading, as he is more likely to have the non-fiction book and I to have the fiction.

And now, walk photos.


The sun is always spectacular as it crests the horizon to the east . . .


But I appreciate the subtle tiers of more-muted color to the west just as much.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful walk pictures.
Linda

Jenny said...

Today I happened to watch an episode of "How It's Made" on TV- great series! It featured how pecans get from the grove to the customer's home" and it was AMAZING!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenny: I've never seen that, but it sounds interesting. These pecans weren't so much "made" as "gathered from under someone's tree," and then passed around until they landed somewhere where a person would actually crack them and use them. :-)