Saturday, April 23, 2022

Book Talk: Elementary Fiction--Fantasy and Fairy Tales

Elementary fiction is a rather ridiculously large category. As we discussed last week, "elementary" spans a big range of ages and reading levels. And "fiction" has so many sub-categories, you could drive yourself crazy trying to classify everything.

So I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm going to highlight a few more-specific categories of fiction first, and then have a more general list later.

I'm starting with fantasy because that is a HUGE segment of fiction now. I noticed this when I was looking at books for our elementary library. I was never a fan of the fantasy genre, but I really didn't remember them being such a big part of fiction for kids. A. does like fantasy, so I asked him about it, and he said he had noticed something similar. 

My theory is that fantasy is a "safe" genre for children's adventure stories now. The authors can send their characters on these highly entertaining adventures that are entertaining precisely because they are dangerous. But the danger is okay, because it's not real. It's not so upsetting if it's, say, a dragon getting killed rather than a beloved dog, because no kid has ever had a dragon.

I have one kid who is Very Into fantasy, so we tried a lot of books in this category. These are the ones that the other kid who is not so into fantasy read, too, which I take as an endorsement. Almost all of these are series, which is great if you have a voracious reader. 

Most of these are meant for the older end of the "elementary" spectrum. I would say mostly grades 3-6.

Full disclosure: I haven't personally read most of these, because, as I mentioned above, fantasy is not my favorite.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling--People have many, many opinions about Harry Potter. Criticisms may be valid, but so is the praise. It's just an incredibly imagined, carefully plotted series of books, with the whole arc of an epic adventure that makes for a satisfying story. It is also very satisfying for kids to read these giant books--and so many of them! Especially for what are generally termed "reluctant readers," finishing something like this series leads to a great feeling of pride, and might very well overcome that self-identification some kids have of being "not readers." 


Our set was given to me by my mother when the whole series was first released all together in hardcover. I think I was in college. They now live on top of the bookcases on my son's desk, very appropriately topped by these gargoyle bookends he received for Christmas.

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins--By the same author as The Hunger Games series, but this series is geared toward a slightly younger audience. I have read these, and I thought they were fantastic books for kids. Very well-written and entertaining on the surface, but with some impressively sophisticated themes under that entertaining surface. I don't necessarily agree with all of the author's ideas, but within reason, I think it's healthy to sometimes read things that don't reinforce my own views. If you're into reading the same books as your kids and having discussions about those books, this would be a good series for that.

Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland--This is one of those never-ending series of what I suspect is kind of boilerplate characters and plots. They're pushed hard by Scholastic, which always makes me wary, but my older boys love them. I haven't read them, but have glanced through them and I would say the writing isn't great, but the story seems to be captivating. Despite the simplistic writing that seems more appropriate for younger readers, there is quite a lot of dragon violence in them. This doesn't bother my boys at all, but is something to keep in mind if you have sensitive readers. 

City of Orphans Trilogy by Catherine Jinks--I'm not sure how we ended up with this series, though I don't think I would have bought it myself if I had looked into it very closely. The story sounds frankly creepy. It's about children who work as Boglers in Victorian London. Boglers catch Bogles, which are monsters that, um, eat children. Yeah. However! The writing seems pretty good (again, haven't read them myself), and it's an original setting and period for a modern children's series. My older boys loved them and still re-read them, but be aware that the premise might be too much for some kids.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis--I had one child who LOVED these books, and one who didn't so much. They can be found in almost every library system--or even school library--so it's worth letting your kids read it and see what they think.

And in the fairy tale category . . .

The Castle Corona by Sharon Creech--My boys have re-read this book many times. They haven't much liked the other books by this author, but there's something about this one that they really loved. It's a fairy tale, but not so much in the vein of, say, Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. There are multiple characters' viewpoints represented, and the story is not driven by romance, which pleases my romance-averse boys. 

Beauty by Robin McKinley--My older sister is a huge Robin McKinley fan, and although I was introduced to many authors by my sister whom I still read, I have never cared for Robin McKinley. Except for this book. It's a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, and I just love it. It's very well-written. The characterization and relationships between characters are great. If you have elementary kids at a higher reading level who want to read more complicated books, but still need content that isn't inappropriate for them, this would be a good candidate. (I will be unforgivably old-fashioned here and say that those kids will probably be girls. Not that boys won't read it, but more girls will probably love it. Because of that romance thing again. As a general rule, stories featuring romance are not so appealing to young boys.)

What would you add to this list of elementary fantasy and fairy tales?


8 comments:

Jody said...

The Luck Uglies trilogy by Paul Durham. I read these and loved them; my children have read these and loved them. I find so many modern books objectionable, but I think these are lovely. Did I mention I don't normally like fantasy? My 10-year-old just read them a few months ago, so that might give an idea of age level to read. But my older kids love them, as well.

For fairy tales, I've really liked Shannon Hale's _The Goose Girl_. My boys even liked it, and I was surprised by that. But not too much because one boy is a connoisseur of fairy tales and myths. Anyway, there are sequels to this, but I wasn't as impressed with the sequels. My kids had mixed feelings about them as well.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: I ordered the Luck Uglies for our school library, probably based on your recommendation. Haven't gotten them yet to read them, but I'm looking forward to it.

mbmom11 said...



Percy Jackson series, anything by Diane Wynne Jones, Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede, the thirteenth child's series by Wrede, mighty Jack and Zita the space girl graphic novels, The curse of Greg trilogy.
My current crop of boys read a lot of this stuff. I just found Catherine jinks - so we're on her evil genius series and I also requested whatever the library had.
Some of my younger boys didn't get into reading chapter book fiction for a while. They stuck with non fiction science books - it takes more than good reading skills to read a longer story arc. However the fantasy novels were often the hook they needed.

mbmom11 said...

I forgot Cressida Cowell's books: How to train your dragon and the wizards of once. My kids loved the series.

Karen. said...

My girls of this age range are *very* into E.D. Baker. They're princess books, but lots of adventure. Interest levels are rated at anywhere from 3.7 to 6.0. My girls' ability is far above their interest level, so I'd say this is very accurate for interest age range.

JP2GiannaT said...

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. A prophecy foretells a bride for the prince will come from a poor mining area, so a tutor is sent to educate the girls. The miners have the ability to communicate thoughts to one another through the marble they mine-- but don't realize that's an unusual ability.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman. Very scary, but in a brothers Grimm sort of way rather than a horror story kind of way. Good wins out in the end, and the protagonist is very well written. The best villain in children's literature ever-- think Mother Gothel from Tangled, but more so.

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques. A boy and his dog get cursed to immortality along with the crew of a ship trapped off the cape of Good Hope when the captain utters blasphemy, but because they're the only ones pure of heart aboard ship, they're taken off the ship by an angel and entrusted with missions to help others. Stricken with immortality (and the books make it clear it's a burden), they roam the world unable to settle down, but helping others. Three books in the trilogy, and they're wonderful in every sense of the word. By the same guy who wrote Redwall, an absolute master storyteller.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. A really creative retelling of Cinderella.




Suz said...

I had a big fantasy reader! You already have a bunch of great ones listed; here are some other books that were popular at our house in earlier days (some may be more middle grade? but I think all were at least started in elementary grades for us):

- Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising series (references Arthurian legends; when the protagonist turns 11 his magical powers awaken)
- Ridley Pearson - the Kingdom Keepers series (kids fighting evil magic at Disney; my daughter liked these despite not being a Disney park fan)
- Kate Milford - Greenglass House series (mystery in a creaky old house; turns to fantasy)
- Wayne Thomas Batson - the Dreamtreaders series (and others) (teenager has special powers as guardian of the dream world; Christian worldview)
- John White - Archives of Anthropos series (if you like Narnia - this is another Christian allegorical fantasy)
- Brian Jacques - Redwall series (if you like animals as characters)
- Trenton Lee Stewart - The Mysterious Benedict Society series (probably not officially fantasy, but since they do rely on special powers like reading minds...?)

Fairy tales: Gail Carson Levine (e.g. Ella Enchanted), Jessica Day George (e.g. Tuesdays at the Castle, Dragon Slippers), Shannon Hale (e.g. Princess Academy)

Becky said...

I agree that Robin McKinley was at the top of her game with "Beauty." I think it's time for my third or fourth reading. I really enjoy re-reading favorites from years ago--most (but not all) still keep me rapt despite knowing the endings.