Friday, April 1, 2022

Friday Food: Canned Soup and Commodities Coleslaw

Friday 

Short version: Pizza, raw radishes

Long version: Finally made pizza for one of our meatless Lenten Fridays. One with just cheese, one with peppers and onions. Both good.

Some sliced radishes from the commodities box, just to get a token vegetable in there.

Saturday

Short version: Leftover barbecue beef, lobster chowder, clam chowder, bread and butter, dates

Long version: We had our once-a-month Saturday church this day, and didn't get home until about 5:15. So I needed something quick.

Before you go thinking that I've really surpassed myself with the chowders, you should know they were both from a can. But they were pretty good as far as canned soups go. It's a brand called Bar Harbor. Both kinds are condensed, which I find to be much better for this type of soup. You add milk, cream, and butter when you heat it up.

I bought the clam chowder some time ago for Cubby, who loves all things seafood. And then A. bought the lobster chowder for Cubby when he took Cubby and Calvin with him to pick up the fixed Honda tire in a small city. Everyone got to try the lobster chowder--although Cubby ate most of it--and all agreed it was better than the clam chowder. It's also more than twice the cost, so it will probably not be a regular menu item in our house.

The dates are a variety called Khalas dates. I had never heard of that particular kind before, but they were offered by Misfits Market, so I thought I'd try them. 

Oh man. They are SO GOOD. A. didn't like them as much as Medjool dates, which he considers the gold standard for dates. I loved them, though. They're drier than Medjool dates, but have a very caramel-y flavor. Almost like maple sugar.

Anyway. The kids love them, too, and thought they should have a dessert since we had been to church. I stuck to the "homemade dessert only on Sunday" rule and gave them two dates each instead, as a sort of pseudo-dessert. They were satisfied with this.

Sunday

Short version: Baked ham, leftover rice, sauteed yellow squash/onion/tomato, coleslaw, chocolate chip cookies

Long version: I made the ham the same way I made it last time, when I was proclaimed a genius in the kitchen because of the ham. So, pineapple juice from a can of pineapple (just juice--no sugar), maple syrup, and Dijon mustard.

All the sauteed vegetables were from the commodities box. The cabbage and carrots for the coleslaw were also from the commodities box. 

Thanks, commodities box.

Monday

Short version: Ham/rice/pea skillet, leftover coleslaw, canned pineapple

Long version: LOTS of butter, frozen green peas, diced ham, and rice. A very satisfying after-work dinner.

The pineapple was from the can I drained for the juice when I made the ham. All the children love canned pineapple. I should probably buy it more often.

Tuesday

Short version: Meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, pureed calabaza, Holy's cabbage, raw broccoli

Long version: Apparently, I decided to embrace my inner 1960s housewife wtih this meal. 

I made the scalloped potatoes because A. brought home a bunch of half and half last time he went to the store when he couldn't find heavy cream. So I just dumped that over a skillet full of thinly sliced potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and baked it along with the meatloaf. Definitely a step up from baked potatoes.

Do you remember what Holy's cabbage is? No? Well, here you go. An excellent use for the other half of the commodities cabbage.

The calabaza was from the freezer, and the raw broccoli was for the two children who don't like either calabaza or Holy's cabbage.

Random photo break!


A Sidecar in the wild.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: I planned on leftovers because I anticipated being at work. But I was very happy to have them when I was sick instead. Leftover meatloaf, sauteed squash, potatoes for some, bread and butter for others, still-frozen peas for the children.

And Cubby did the dishes. Yay.

Thursday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, fried eggs, rice, black-eyed peas, cucumber spears, calabaza

Long version: There wasn't enough sausage for everyone to eat a lot of it, so I augmented that with the eggs and black-eyed peas. 

The black-eyed peas were from the freezer, where I put them after we got tired of eating them at New Year's. That's why you should always make a whole bag of black-eyed peas.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

takeout
quiche, salad, garlic bread
turkey burgers, salad, garlic bread
mexican casserole, broccoli, toast
shrimp, rice, broccoli, garlic bread
chicken stir fry, toast
And for tonight fish tacos, oranges
Linda

Karen. said...

"That's why you should make a whole bag of black-eyed peas."

lol. Fact.

This is my opinion of 1-pound bags of rice, too. Whyever just make two-thirds of a bag? Just make it all.

JP2GiannaT said...

-the neckbone meat from that half cow we bought cooked in the crockpot all day and then eaten with refried beans, rice, and queso.

-ground beef, cabbage, carrot, and celery stir fry over brown rice

-fish sticks, mac and cheese, veggies

-fideo soup (vermicelli pasta cooked in broth and tomato sauce flavored with cumin and allspice...think Mexican spaghetti -o's) with saltine crackers and shredded cheese.

-tonight I'm going to try and make quiche. We'll see how it goes.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: Yes, although to be fair, you and I both have lots of kids to eat the extras of everything. For a single person or just a couple, a full pound of dried beans might be excessive. :-)

JP2: Neckbones make for surprisingly good meat, though annoying to pick off the tiny bones. I've never been a huge fan of quiche (though I see Linda up there had quiche this week--maybe she would have some tips on it), but I have always loved Spanish tortillas. I guess I need the potatoes to offset all those eggs. I don't make it anymore because it is not universally beloved by my family, but it is good.

Kit said...

I agree about the dried peas. Cook the whole package (and cook the rest of the onion, right?).
Friday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Saturday-Mexican meatloaf, sourdough biscuits, salad, lemon cake. The 7 year old had biscuits and yogurt. And cake.
Sunday-cornbread, spam, colelaw. The 7 year old skipped the coleslaw.
Monday-eggs, oven-fried potatoes, broccoli
Tuesday-yellow rice with chicken and peas
Wednesday-beef and barley soup, fresh bread
Thursday-enchiladas, broccoli

mbmom11 said...

Sat- daughter wanted a garlic bread so pasta, broccoli , and garlic bread. Saved me from planning!
Sun- chicken stew with carrots, mashed potatoes. Probably broccoli.
Mon- fried chicken strips, waffle fries, broccoli.
Tues- defrosted hamburger- too small for a meal for everyone- so cooked some bacon and warmed up the last chicken strip. Chips and corn.
Wed- leftover beef stew from freezer, leftover broccoli, mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits.
Thurs- pancakes, bacon,fresh pineapple. Canned pineapple is fine, but my family loves the fresh stuff. I always grumble about cutting it up, but it never takes much time. My chunks are never the same size or artistic though.
Fri- Mac and cheese, string beans, homemade applesauce, and of course, broccoli. Big daughter brought cookies and cupcakes left from her defense , so there was much rejoicing.

I'm trying to be better about using leftovers and not wasting food, so you get my list here. It helps me to stay accountable for my goals.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kit: What made the meatloaf Mexican?

mbmom11: I love your list. And yes, my family loves fresh pineapple, too. It's just very hard to get any good ones here.

Kit said...

ground meat, crushed tortilla chips, salsa, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, grated cheese, eggs. The original recipe called for ground turkey but I've used other ground meat depending on what I have. If there's any left over it's good filling for tacos. I'm sure no one who was Mexican would recognize it though!