Saturday, June 4, 2022

Book Talk: Middle School Fiction

I decided to split middle school and high school up. Why? Because they're my lists, I suppose.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee--This is one of my own favorite books, and I was sort of surprised when Cubby read it in class in fifth grade. I mean, the main character is a young girl, but I feel like there's just too much going on in the story that would go over the head of an elementary-aged kid. I think middle school is a good time to read this book for the first time. Subsequent re-readings will reveal more and more, but a seventh grader can get plenty out of it on the first reading.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith--Another of my personal favorites. Such a great glimpse into life in early twentieth century Brooklyn tenements. Great characters, too.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain--My boys have a slight preference for Huck Finn, but agreed that readers new to Mark Twain should read Tom Sawyer first.


The Twain fans in one of their favorite environments. (This is our elementary school library, which is just shelves in the entryway. And yes, this small library includes both books recommended above.)

The Winter War by William Durban--A historical novel about a teenage boy who helps fight the Soviets when they invade his home of Finland.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery--I do not love the Anne books as much as I did when I was younger, but I still think everyone should read at least the first one.

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen--I didn't put this one on the elementary list because I think some of it is better for middle school. Gary Paulsen's style doesn't always produce a straightforward narrative, and the stuff about the main character's parents' divorce is probably more for older kids. Such a great book, though. One of my favorites when I was a kid, and a favorite of my sons', too.

Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson--The best book for kids that is almost guaranteed to make them cry. Maybe not the best for very sensitive children, but a great book nonetheless.

Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George--I loved this book about an Eskimo girl who must learn to survive on her own. I don't think my sons have read it yet. Must get it for them.

Any Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson--I can't believe I forgot to put this on the list! Any and all of the Calvin and Hobbes comic collections are beloved of my children. And by me, too, although I now find myself identifying more with Calvin's mom than with Calvin. They are surprisingly sophisticated in both language and content, and just very, very funny.

What would you add to this list of middle school fiction?


8 comments:

mbmom11 said...

I can't distinguish much between late elementary and junior high books. My kids tend to be voracious readers, so read a lot of good books early. However, I took a poll this morning and they came up with:
Fahrenheit 451
Gone with the Wind
Goodbye to manazanar
A Christmas Carol
Adoration of Jenna Fox
Agatha Christie's mysteries
Some of the John Green books, but sometimes there are problematic scenes.
Importance of Being Earnest
Edgar Allan Poe short stories

mbmom11 said...

Anonymous said...

I never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn until I was an adult and was very surprised at how mature much of the content was—- the father’s devastating alcoholism and death, the assault, pregnancies. I’d always assumed it was syrupy and was amazed at the grittiness, very different from most books recommended for children.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Yes, that's true. I feel like it's just a very straight look at the realities for those people at that time. None of it is prurient or exploitative; it's part of the story because it was part of their lives. But that is the main reason I think it belongs on a list for slightly older kids.

Becky said...

This may have been on a previous list, but when you mentioned a book guaranteed to produce tears, I thought of Where the Red Fern Grows which came out when I was in junior high. A great book for adolescents set during the holocaust is The Devil's Arithmetic.

mil said...

Admittedly L.M. Montgomery's books are uneven, but the Emily of New Moon series is pretty terrific, if less well known than the Anne books. Of the latter, the final one, Rilla of Ingleside, set during WWI, holds up exceptionally well. Rainbow Valley should be read before Rilla, even if some of the others are skipped.

JP2GiannaT said...

I really enjoyed The Book Thief when I read it, I think it fits in that age bracket.

Redwall
The Hobbit
The Wing feather Saga (only read the first one, but I'm impressed with it)
The Witch at Blackbird Pond
The Bronze Bow
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Ella Enchanted
Frindle (though I guess that one is more late elementary school)
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

Daisy said...

Anything by Christopher Paul Curtis. And if I start making a list now, I'll miss supper. :)