Friday, June 24, 2022

Friday Food: Home Again

Friday 

Short version: Chicken wraps or soft tacos, grape tomatoes, brownie bites

Long version: We left my brother's house in Phoenix late Friday morning and stopped for the night at a motel in Socorro, New Mexico, around 7 p.m. I had purchased groceries for our trip home at a store near my brother's house before we left, and that included two rotisserie chickens at a grocery store. So I pulled some meat off and made cold wraps with flour tortillas and cheese, mayonnaise, and mustard for some, and heated some tortillas in the room's microwave for others. Everyone had the tomatoes, and the kids had the brownie bites, which were from the bakery of the store.

Saturday

Short version: Chicken with tomato and cream sauce, spaghetti, snow peas

Long version: We got home fairly early in the afternoon, but I was very tired and not into cooking. I had an entire rotisserie chicken left, and thought about making chicken salad because it was hot, but I figured we were all tired of road food and would like something cooked. So I combined the meat with some of the canned spaghetti sauce we get from commodities, plus some cream and extra spices, and used that to sauce spaghetti for the kids. A. and I had the chicken without the pasta.

We had a TON of snow peas on the plants in the garden, many of which had gotten quite large and thicker than I normally eat snow peas. Those more mature ones I sauteed in the pan with butter before making the chicken, and the adults ate those. The kids ate the less mature ones raw.

Sunday

Short version: Steaks, oven fries, baby carrots, pots de creme

Long version: Is it even a Father's Day without steak? Well, yes, of course, but since our resident father very much likes steak, and we have a lot of it, our Father's Days are almost always celebrated with steak. I cooked two New York strip steaks, and two ribeyes. We didn't even eat the ribeyes, so that means I really need to stop taking out so many steaks to thaw at a time.

A. also very much likes french fries. I can't fit all the fries our family will eat in a skillet, so I don't fry them anymore. One half-sheet pan is barely enough for all of us now, and I know some people would like more, so I may have to start making two pans of them. Which means I will make them even more infrequently than I do now. I don't actually know why I don't make them more. It's not as if it's a lot more work than regular roasted potato chunks. Father's Day is a good excuse for the actual fries, though.

If you've been reading here long enough, you'll know that I don't typically have baby carrots. The only reason I had them this time was because I bought a bag of them before we started our drive home from Phoenix. Could I have bought regular carrots and peeled and cut them into real carrot sticks at my brother's house before we started driving home that morning? Yes. But I didn't. 

All the baby carrots were eaten, but I was reminded why I don't buy them. They're slimy, and they taste of chlorine. Yuck.

Monday

Short version: Leftover steak, rice, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: Leftover steak is a handy thing to have. It never goes to waste, at least.

Tuesday

Short version: Pizza, snow peas

Long version: Our high this day was only 68 degrees, and I was baking bread anyway, so it seemed like a good day to make pizza. 


It was so chilly because it actually rained all day.We got over an inch. I literally do not remember the last time we got more than a tenth of an inch in a day. Lookit the happy garden plants! Lookit the drops of rain on the window! So much rejoicing.

I made one pizza with just cheese, one with bacon, both with fresh basil from the plants in the garden that are actually looking pretty good this year. Fingers crossed for lots of pesto in the freezer by summer's end.

Wednesday

Short version: Beef stir-fry, leftover rice

Long version: I had actually taken a bag of purchased stir-fry vegetables from the freezer before I realized I had enough vegetables on hand to make the stir-fry without them. 

I used an onion, carrots, snow peas from the garden, green bell peppers we had gotten in huge quantities from commodities a few months ago and I froze, and some of last year's frozen beet greens. I figured I'd better use those up, since I've started harvesting this year's beets and freezing the greens.

The first beet I pulled was a real heavyweight.


Pint jar for scale.

Thursday

Short version: Barbecue bull, bread and butter, coleslaw

Long version: When I was organizing the two chest freezers, I found I still have about forty pounds of bull meat in there. So I guess I really need to use up the bull meat I pressure canned in jars so I can do that again. Starting with this.

The best way to prepare the bull meat is to pressure can (or cook) it, and then pulse it in the food processor for a few seconds with extra fat. This breaks it down enough that it's not really tough. 

I was making coleslaw anyway, as I had more cabbages in the garden that needed to be used, so I put two quarts of bull meat through the food processor. One of those quarts went into the freezer, and the other one I fried with lard and then added barbecue sauce.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

10 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Complete waste of a week foodwise in my home. Summer just kills me. Grilled meats some nights. Melted cheese on carbs another night. I think the only decent meal I cooked was pancakes and bacon. Probably no vegetables.
The only baking I did was cinnamon rolls this morning. The dough was too wet and rose too quickly, but the kids will eat them anyways.

Anonymous said...

takeout
chicken tenders, salad, roasted potatoes
chicken chili, corn chips, salad
same
turkey burgers, broccoli
shrimp om top of salad, garlic bread
tilapia, rice, salad or broccoli (for tonight)
Linda

samcarter said...

Nothing super exciting, except I chose the most delicious watermelon EVER for our sub sandwich night, which made me so happy. I'm pretty good at picking watermelons, but you never know. I always tell the kids I will not even look at the watermelons if I don't see rounded ones. I picked a very round, kind of misshapen one, and it was delicious. I love watermelon season.

And then, because I was so clever, I put the leftover watermelon sticks out in our garage fridge, where the kids don't really forage for food much, so we had leftover watermelon last night.

Other nights: taco night, chicken and rice casserole, lentil soup (with sandwich leftovers) and tonight is salmon burgers and chips and coleslaw.

Karen. said...

OH the rain! Hooray!

Washing baby carrots the way one should with strawberries, in a sink of water with a healthy splash of vinegar, helps with the slime a lot. But I'd also rather make my own sticks from whole carrots.

We are doing softball this year, first ever, and (someone besides me would have realized earlier) it wreaks havoc with meals. Insanity. Much like the first commenter, I have no good things to report.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - I cooked a bag of red beans and divided it so this night we ate red beans and rice topped with avacado.

Tuesday - Made stove top "baked" beans which we had on toast, this we ate with cucumber slices.

Wendsday - Cheese tortellini tossed with butter and garlic. Roasted cherry tomatoes and the last two of the cucumbers.

Thursday - Breakfast scramble, toast and the last of the bananas.

Friday - I desperately need to go grocery shopping (I'm dreading it despite being armed with coupons, award points and a list..I'd rather run amok in a used book store than trudge through aisles of overpriced groceries)
Anyway...I think I'll just set out sandwich fixings with some good bread and fruit to go with....it's in the nineties so I'm not enthusiastic to fire up the stove.

Happy weekend everyone!

Kit said...

Friday-missed your post, glad you're ok! we had leftover spaghetti and cheese and coleslaw.
Saturday-camping with a 15, a 14, and a 7. Usual first night of camping menu of cheese and bologna rolled in a tortilla and heated up on the camp stove, salad, and raw s'mores. It was too windy to have a fire and the kids said they would eat them uncooked, which they did.
Sunday-hot dogs, potato chips, apple slices, carrots (not baby-I hate them too), more wind and more raw s'mores
Monday-naan bread pizza over the fire, apples and carrots, cooked s'mores
Tuesday-spam, boiled potatoes, broccoli, s'mores. Need I mention that the 7 has to have her graham cracker, her chocolate, and her marshmallows totally separate?
Wednesday-home to find the lettuce and green beans destroyed by groundhogs. Meat pies, peas.
Thursday-beef and barley soup from the freezer, fresh bread and butter

jeanie said...

So here's another awful thing about bagged "baby" carrots. They actually are larger carrots mechanically reduced to the smaller size. Can we spell ridiculous food waste? I am guessing the slime is because the carrots don't have the normal protective skin--if that's what you call it.

Anonymous said...

There is a radio commercial here for something unrelated to vegetables, trying to be funny, saying “do you know that baby carrots are actually just regular carrots shaved into a cute little shape?” Something like that- the thing is, there really ARE baby carrots and they are a totally different thing from the slimy grocery store ones! Grow your own carrots and pull them early, like pencil-size diameter. Wash, don’t peel, leave at least some of the green top. Or you can pay exorbitant amounts at a gourmet market. Just FYI! Baby greens, baby squash, baby beets- all sweet and tender and cute!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: The only problem is that when you do grow them yourself, it's sort of hard to pull them early and cute when you know you'll get more food out of them if you leave them in to grow more. :-) For me, at least.

JP2GiannaT said...

Lots of soup. I don't remember exactly what, but it's a good way to use up odds and ends (especially meat). I think there was grilled chicken and sausage at one point. Husband got a new grill for father's day and grilled steaks the Saturday before Father's day, so we also ate steak this past week.