Sunday, July 3, 2022

Snapshots: Ripe Apricots Wait for No Woman

We went to our friends' house on Thursday, and were the happy recipients of three boxes of small apricots harvested the day before.


Tiny, but tasty.

I should have processed them that day, but I was too tired, so they had to wait until the next day. They were a little too ripe to really gel, but the resulting 10 pints of puree will certainly be put to good use in yogurt and crepes.

A. started harvesting his garlic, as well.


He had the brilliant idea of cutting off the stalks with his wire cutters. Good call. Those stalks are tough, but they're not tougher than wire.

One of the more entertaining things in the garden this year has been the carrots. I had some carrots go to seed last year (some that we had missed digging up the year before--it takes them two years to make seeds), and I had randomly shaken some of the thousands of seeds around. And then, of course, the wind did its thing. 

The result of this has been carrots coming up literally everywhere I've been watering. In my tomatoes, cabbages, peas, green beans . . .

It's fun. And one of the great benefits of volunteer carrots is that they don't have to be thinned.


I started pulling the ones in my tomato bed, though, because they were getting lost under the giant tomato bushes. This photo also shows the last of the snow peas.

Since our big rain a couple of weeks ago, we've had a few more short cloudbursts here and there, which is why we now have honest-to-goodness GREEN in the pastures.


This was dead brown just two weeks ago. It's way past time for some grass to start growing.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

Jenlee said...

You know, I am 53, from the South and have never tasted an apricot. I've eaten my weight in peaches, but never an apricot.

Claire said...

I love the snapshots! Why are the garlic stalks so hard? Is it hard neck garlic?
We're at the end of cherry season here, the birds ate a lot. And snow peas just started but i planted them late

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenlee: Apricots are delicious. But so are peaches. And watermelon, which I imagine are easier for you to get than for me.

Claire: Yes, they are indeed hard neck garlic. The name says it all :-)

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I tried the garlic scapes from mine last week. They ended up totally woody and inedible. I suspect this means I've got hard neck and shouldn't have tried to eat them.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: You must've cut them too late. We eat the scapes from ours, but they have to be cut while they're still all curled up. And I trim off the top flower bud part, too. But if you get them before they start to straighten out, they're tender even on hard-neck varieties.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Oh yeah, they were mostly straight. Kind of candy-cane shape. Now I know. Thanks.

Tu mere said...

Green is great and so are carrots! If there are garlic scapes it would make me very happy if you could save me some.