Saturday, July 9, 2022

Book Talk: High School Non-Fiction

I spent a LOT of time last school year researching books to buy for the high school library I almost had to create from nothing. Hours and hours. 

The reason I spent so much time is that high school books are kind of tricky, in my opinion. There are, as with all school ages, a wide variety of reading levels to account for. But mostly, I think it's because of those kids that can read at an adult level, but probably shouldn't be reading all the adult books. There are some topics and content that I don't believe a 14-year-old needs to be encountering quite yet.

So. I spent all that time reading reviews and synopses of every single book I purchased for the high school library. 

It was fun to discover new authors and titles, but it was a bit tedious. And it remains to be seen which titles will be popular, and which won't. 

My own sons have been working on reading some of these books already, but many of them are ones I haven't actually read yet, and neither have they. That means I can't really give personal recommendations for them all. So I think what I'll do is just list what books I chose to buy. Starting with the non-fiction.

Arts

The 15-Minute Artist by Catherine Holmes

How to Draw by Katie Moore (Editor)

Almost Lost Arts by Emily Freidenrich

Fashion Book by DK Publishing

Travel

Moon USA State by State

National Geographic Guide to National Parks of the United States

Abandoned New Mexico by John M. Mulhouse

Adventure

A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople by Patrick Leigh Fermor

Between the Woods and the Water by Patrick Leigh Fermor

Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Severeid

A Girl's Wanderings in Hungary by H. Ellen Browning

All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team by Christina Soontornvat

Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific in a Raft by Thor Heyerdahl

Biography/Memoir

Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History by Joseph M. Marshall III

Samurai Rising: The Epic Life of Minamoto Yoshitsune by Pamela S. Turner

Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

Miscellaneous

97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement by Janet Ziegelman

Beginner Gardening Step by Step by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff

Dogs: Working Origins and Traditional Tasks by Mike Loades

Encyclopedia of Warrior Peoples and Fighting Groups by Allen L. Hamilton

A Dog in the Cave: The Wolves Who Made Us Human by Kay Frydenborg


Odin the One-Eyed Dog agrees that humans would be sad creatures indeed without him and his kind.

What would you add to this list of high school non-fiction? Or, have you read and would you recommend any of the above?


9 comments:

Jody said...

I read a book by Tristan Gooley about nature, and it was so engaging . I've heard most of his books are good.

mbmom11 said...

Would Jon Krakauer books like "Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild" be good choices ? They are not happy books but I found them very compelling.

mbmom11 said...

And to balance out the dog book, "The Lion in the Living Room" by Abigal Tucker. About domestic cats.

mbmom11 said...

I went to my town library today and found their YA non fiction section. Pretty thin gruel. Some triumph over terrible disease memoirs, a few political books , and some depression/ anxiety/autism type books. Plus "Awkward Fanily Pet Photos". So the books you selected seem much better than what my professional (and usually reliable ) librarians pick.
I bet most places just ship the teens to adult nonfiction.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what you might come across if you looked at the recently "banned" books! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

I took my own advice and looked online and found: Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. This one I have read! Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: I never heard of Tristan Gooley, but his books look interesting.

mbmom11: I think we have a copy of "Into the Wild" in the school collection. I've never read it, though. I don't think I've ever even seen a non-fiction section specific to YA. I just bought adult non-fiction that seemed interesting and relevant for middle/high schoolers.

Elaine N said...

The Boys in the Boat, Nine Americans and their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

Anonymous said...

I just read the Patrick Furmor books earlier this year and i loved them! The guy seems very full of himself, but then you read about what he has done and it's very cool. And it was very readable for something from 100 years ago.