Tuesday, July 5, 2022

T.T.: Homemade Squirt? Yes Please

I was reminiscing with my children the other day about when I first got my driver's license. I told them that one of the best things about that was being able to stop at a Circle K whenever I wanted to on my way home from soccer practice and get a Squirt from the fountain. Squirt is a citrus-flavored soda that originated in Phoenix, and it's pretty local to Arizona. When it's over 100 degrees and you've been running for two hours outside, few things are more appreciated than a very icy, very sweet, carbonated citrus-based drink. 

I haven't had a Squirt in years. I might find them as unappealing now as I find Coke, which is way too sweet and off-tasting to me now. But I did discover yesterday accidentally that I can make something at home that is very close to what I remember Squirt tasting like.

As a Fourth of July treat, I made lemonade. I never measure, but it's just sugar, water, and (bottled, in this case) lemon juice. I left it quite strong, so that I could add some seltzer to mine. I always like drinks carbonated if I can manage it. The only seltzer we had on hand was grapefruit-flavored seltzer.

Turns out, lemonade+grapefruit seltzer=Squirt.

So good.

I have no interest in trying to make homemade root beer or Pepsi, but homemade Squirt? Two thumbs up.


Patriotic Poppy agrees.

11 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Where did you put our "little" Poppy?

Anonymous said...

Sounds refreshing!
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P.: She went the way of little Cubby, little Calvin, and little Jack. :-(

Linda: It really is.

Bri said...

Yum! I love accidental discoveries like this!!

Curious how you guys celebrate the 4th of July? (aside from Lemonade and the resulting Squirt? LOL) Does your town do a firework show or do you light your own? Are there any parades or fairs?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Bri: No, there's no fireworks here as a general rule. Usually too dry, and as almost the entire county makes its living from grass ranching, burning up the range would not endear you to your neighbors. :-) Our neighbors last year had some minor fireworks that they felt safe enough lighting because it actually rained enough that everything wasn't a tinderbox, but those are the only ones I've seen. No parades or fairs for the 4th. That comes with the county fair at the beginning of August, which is a pretty big deal here.

Bri said...

I didn't realize most your county makes their living from grass ranching! Yep, I definitely can see how that would lead to a no fireworks rule LOL Hope you guys had a good 4th of July anyways :)

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

I love Squirt! I love it (and my other fav, original Coke) best cut with plain fizzy water. I'll have to try your combination. When I'm traveling during hot weather and need a little caffeine and carbonation, it's a big bonus to find a place where the pop fountain machine has Coke products, and one of the spigot choices is "Soda Water."

Karen. said...

It's interesting that Squirt is regional because that makes me wonder what the region is. They have done a good job marketing in Kansas and Nebraska, apparently. :)

Gemma's person said...

I just checked again and read your title as homestead squirt.
We had squirt around here awhile ago like 30 yrs or so and I haven't even looked for it since.
Southern Indiana.

Tu mere said...

Necessity is the mother of invention, a saying that should be displayed in your kitchen as it describes a lot of your kitchen creations. Glad you’ve come up with a drink you can enjoy. Oh and really cute Fourth of July shirt for Poppy.