Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday Food: Catch as Catch Can

Friday 

Short version: Pot roast, rice in chicken stock, coleslaw, pureed squash

Long version: I used the very last of the garden tomatoes in the pot roast.


Sayonara, my friends.

I also used the last two small cabbages from the fall garden in the coleslaw, leaving the squash as the only fresh produce left from this year's garden.

Saturday

Short version: Barbecue beef, garlic bread, rice, leftover coleslaw

Long version: Leftover pot roast became the barbecue beef. I had made the garlic bread earlier in the day when I was baking bread, but then it all got eaten in the late afternoon, so I actually served rice with dinner.

Sunday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, oven fries, canned corn, blueberry muffin cake

Long version: The first of our new beef I tried was ground beef to make cheeseburgers. They were really good. This cow we got actually had some fat, so the ground beef isn't too lean. YAY.

I used saved chicken fat to make the oven fries and they, too, were very good. Fat is the secret to everything.

I'm still trying to use up the old Sysco blueberries in the freezer, so I made a double batch of these muffins in a Pyrex pan. Because it was meant to be a dessert, I made a glaze for it with powdered sugar and lemon juice, which not one child liked. And half of them announced they don't like the blueberries, either.

Okay, then. Guess I won't make that anymore.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, bread and butter, peaches

Long version: Pot roast, hamburgers, baked beans from the freezer, supplemented with bread and butter and, after dinner, canned peaches.

Tuesday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, tomato soup, leftover french fries

Long version: Poppy and I went to the dentist this day, and then out to lunch afterwards.


At a very old, and very cool, Mexican restaurant.

I got tacos, which had the option of additional "burnt cheese" listed on the menu. I suspected this would be something like frico, and sure enough, the waitress told me they fry the cheese on the pan, then add the tortilla, and then the taco fillings before folding it all up. 

I had to try it. It was delicious, although I think the extra fried cheese was unnecessary. Especially because the corn tortillas were obviously homemade and didn't need anything to make them tasty.


So much food.

As can see, my tacos came with a pile of french fries, none of which I needed after eating three tacos wrapped in fried cheese. Poppy's chicken quesadilla also came with fries. We brought all the leftover fries home, and I re-heated them in a skillet for everyone else to enjoy.

I myself was so full from my lunch that I didn't eat again for 24 hours.

The tomato soup was a big pot Cubby had made over the weekend. Three of the four children will eat it, which is pretty good for a soup.

Wednesday

Short version: Bean and cheese quesadillas, leftover sausage, peaches and cottage cheese

Long version:  We didn't get home from Mass until 5:45 p.m., after a work day for me. Which is why I made quesadillas for the kids with flour tortillas, canned refried beans, and cheese. They were happy with this.

Also happy with the peaches and cottage cheese. These were my canned peaches, which are WAY better than commercial canned peaches. Unsurprisingly.

Thursday

Short version: Snacks, chowder, pasta

Long version: The family split for dinner this night. A. brought Calvin home from school and fed him before judo. He had pasta with meat sauce. I made it earlier in the day to use the rest of the ground beef from a couple of days earlier, and the last of the bag of roasted tomato sauce that had been hanging around for several days, along with just the pasta from two boxes of macaroni and cheese. This made something that looked very much like Hamburger Helper.

A. ate some salmon chowder I had made earlier in the day for Cubby, who was sick with a bad sore throat. He managed to eat some of the pasta, though.

Poppy, Jack, and I went to a holiday "make and take" event at school. We made different crafts--ornaments, wreaths, etc.--and ate finger foods, popcorn, and hot chocolate.


The finger foods: mini quiches, pigs in a blanket, and pizza rolls.

The two kids also ate some of the pasta when we got home.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

12 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Limping into the end of the semester , with other issues making life hard. So boring and minimal food this week.
Fri- pasta, sausage, garlic bread, broccoli
Sat- assorted boys started feeling sick in the afternoon, so grilled cheese for most.
Sun- stew, noodles, homemade bread, veg
Mon- basketball game so grilled cheese. Eggs for teens after game.
Tues- homemade mac and cheese only 2 of us ate, bagels and broccoli.
Wed- tired and worn. and I had to go to work in the evening, so scrambled eggs and biscuits from a can.
Thur- tacos or tortilla with cheese. I had to shred cheddar sticks because I forgot to by regular cheddar that morning. I finished the leftover stew and had toast. I was in bed at 8:15, but unfortunately as teen girl was out until 11 for a band concert, I didn't sleep until she got home.
Finals this weekend, so expectations continue low. I need to make more Zimtsterne for school's Christmas program this weekend. However, teen boy will help, he liked making them for his German class 2 weeks ago. So I will exploit this.
I hope your weekends are restful!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: Your first sentence could have been the intro. for this post. 'Tis the season. I hope your "other issues" resolve soon. And thanks for the new thing I learned today: Now I know what zimtsterne are. :-)

samcarter said...

I just finished the final edits of a book, so let me see if I can remember our week without getting out of my chair to look at the kitchen menu:

Saturday we had a 24 hour power outage, so we heated up leftovers and grocery store fried chicken in a generator-powered microwave. Normally we do homemade pizzas that night, but obviously we weren't powering the oven with the microwave.

Sunday we had power again! yay! We celebrated by making homemade pizza for dinner, flouting our usual "no heavy cooking on Sundays" rule. Flexibility is key.

Monday: still exhausted from the weekend, so we had more homemade personal pizzas (I usually make enough so we have plenty for Sat and Sun, so we just pushed it ahead)

Tuesday: Saint Nicholas Day! We traditionally have ham, cooked buttered apples, rolls, and whatever else we can think of. Because I loved our pumpkin pie so much at Thanksgiving, we had that again, plus a chocolate pie. I made my whipped cream too far ahead so it slumped. Boo. But there was SO MUCH HAM. We had stuffing, too, per the kids' request.

Wednesday: HAM. SO MUCH HAM. And leftover pie.

Thursday: Chicken and rice, roasted brussels sprouts. It was finally impressed upon me that two 13x9 pans of chicken and rice is not enough for a family of four boys, all of whom love the dish, so I made 3, which is really not that much more work. Happy family.

Tonight will be tacos made by one of the kids. I am escaping to run errands this afternoon in celebration of finishing my editing job.

Anonymous said...

takeout
crockpot beef stew, salad, garlic knots
chicken/spinach casserole, salad, garlic knots
leftover chicken/spinach casserole, roasted potatoes, garlic knots
taco casserole w/lettuce & tomatoes, toast
hot dogs, roasted broccoli & potatoes
and for tonight turkey roll ups, mashed potatoes, broccoli
Linda

Mei said...

Sunday: Sweet-and-Sour Pork
Monday: Vegetarian Pad Thai
Tuesday: Beef and Broccoli
Wednesday: Vietnamese Pork Lettuce Wraps
Thursday: Szechuan Chicken Skillet
Friday: Pork & Bok Choy Udon Soup
Saturday: Kimchi Fried Rice

I did not prepare all of this since mother is still here. I will not argue with her and stay out of the kitchen.

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: cooked turkey from the freezer, Mac and cheese, peas (I wasn't feeling well)
Tuesday: turkey noodle soup (no one else felt well either)
Wednesday: pot roast, baked sweet potato, frozen veggies
Thursday: I made pork chops because we'd gotten them out of the freezer to thaw a few days ago and I wanted to make sure they didn't go bad. We had a ton of leftovers, so we let the kids pick out whatever, and most of the pork went back into the fridge. We had whipped cream and blueberries for dessert since it was a feast day.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

samcarter: Ha! I just responded to your comment on FG. I didn't know you comment on both. Anyway, the gist: 15x10 Pyrex. I LOVE mine, and use it all the time. I was surprised how much more it holds compared to the 13x9. Congratulations on finishing your big editing job!

Kit said...

Friday-chickenetti, green beans, pumpkin cake roll with cream cheese filling. Even the 7 loved the cake. Unfortunately I'm indifferent to pumpkin but that's life.
Saturday-lazy man's cheeseburger casserole, green beans
Sunday-leftover chickenetti, coleslaw
Monday-lentil soup, fresh bread
Tuesday-stuffed peppers from the freezer, coleslaw
Wednesday-turkey, baked potatoes, broccoli
Thursday-curried lentils, sourdough biscuits

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - Tried making chicken cordon blu for the first time...was surprised it turned out so well although I suspect purists would sneer at my using havarti instead of swiss...salad to round out the meal.

Tuesday - Roasted parmesan potatoes, salad, and rolls.

Wendsday - Cheese quiche, sauteed green beans and cherry tomatoes.

Thursday - Baked sweet potatoes topped with butter, honey and cashews, rolls, celery and carrots with ranch.

Friday - Tonight we had spaghetti with meat sauce, sweet and spicy peppers, garlic toast.

Saturday - Plan on making baked halibut, orange and pomegranate salad, rolls.

Happy weekend everyone!

mil said...

The restaurant tempts me to get in the car and drive west. It looks wonderful. Meanwhile, I have moved from turkey to ham--but I did make some super onion soup, which is a pain because of the time it takes to cook the onions down correctly.

Andra said...

This week the kids brought home colds which I ended up with. I know I cooked each night….I am having trouble remembering though…

Tacos and quesadillas
Spaghetti
Turkey loin, sweet potatoes, green beans and broccoli
salmon, rice, kale salad
Leftovers one night

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: BOOOOO on the cold. But gold stars for you for cooking every night. (Like you had a choice, right?) I hope everyone recovers fully, quickly.