Sunday, December 4, 2022

Snapshots: Meat!


Tea, rye crisps, and Hop on Pop. Living our best lives, for sure.


Battle gear for a horribly windy day that was blowing dirt all over. Everyone needed a shower when they came inside. Gross.


We used a new butcher this time for the cow we bought from our neighbors, and the meat came back to us in these feed sacks. First time I've ever seen it not in boxes. Not that it matters, actually. Boxes or bags, it will still drive Odin crazy.


This freezer has most of the fruits and vegetables, all the older meat to be used*, and now, a couple hundred pounds of ground beef. Yay!


The other freezer has all the rest of the beef--mostly steaks--a random box of bell peppers, and the box with all the bags of tomato sauce. 


And last, some of our minimal Christmas decorations.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

* All that was left of the steer we got last year was the tongue and a package of brisket. I still have about fifteen pounds of bull meat, though.

10 comments:

mbmom11 said...

What will you do with the tongue? My only experience with beef tongue was at my grandmother's many years ago. We kids saw it on the cutting board for sandwiches- and I don't think any of us ate that day. (My grandmother raised a family of 13 kids through the depression and WW2 , so she made do with many challenges . However, even my deep respect for her would not get me to eat it. I bet my mom let us off the hook.)

mbmom11 said...

Second question- why do all of the beef packages have not for sale stamped on them? And did you label the type if meat or does the processor do that?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: My boys want to eat the tongue. I have so far only ever given it to the dogs, because it has to be peeled to be edible for humans, and I have been avoiding that. We'll see if I indulge them. :-) "Not for sale" indicates that it was not inspected by the USDA, and is therefore not legal for selling after packaging. The processor labels them.

Mei said...

I love beef tongue! I have many recipes for it. I certainly miss seeing my freezers looking like yours. Alas, Japanese homes do not have such room for freezers.

Anonymous said...

It’s hard to beat the combination of a good book and a good snack. I don’t still own Hop on Pop, but I do have One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. And there haven’t been kids in the house in years. I believe in a well curated home library. :)
Also, Poppy’s battle gear is absolutely smashing!

Cheryl in IL

Kit said...

Black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say, what a lot of fish there are! Some people quote Shakespeare, some people quote Dr. Suess. And you know which one I am!

Mary W said...

I think the swim goggles are brilliant.
My post-college roommate grew up eating tongue sandwiches, so it was a staple in our fridge. In deli-meat form it isn't as . . . challenging. I had it in a cafe in one of the antique markets in Paris and it was very good. I can't quite remember how it was prepared.

Anonymous said...

Clearly time to turn cooking and preparing tongue over to the boys. Mil

JP2GiannaT said...

Peeling is super easy. You just cook it for a bit, do a cut length wise then dunk it in cold water and peel it like a tomato.

It's honestly my favorite cut of the cow. Super tender.

Daisy said...

Mmm, brisket. I'm sure it depends on how you cook it, and I trust yours will be amazing.