Wednesday, December 7, 2022

This One Is Better

I was so pleased that several of you also know of and love "Still, Still, Still." Particularly that the anonymous someone with Austrian grandparents now knows the name of the song her grandparents used to sing. That's so great.

It's not a very well-known carol. The only reason I know it is because my mom and I had a tradition of going to my university's choir concert/dinner every December, and they always sang it there. 

As I mentioned yesterday, though, I find it very hard to find good performances of the Christmas songs I really like. I don't enjoy large choral arrangements, but it's difficult to find solo artists that sing carols traditionally. Especially the less well-known hymns.

But! I found a version of "Still, Still, Still" I like better than the a cappella version I posted yesterday. I really appreciate how the woman singing (Sarah Gregory) has a very pleasant voice but doesn't sound overtly trained. Sort of like if your friend with the really good voice was singing it in your living room.


And while we're on the subject! One of my other favorite Christmas hymns is "O Holy Night." Josh Groban has a good version, although his voice is, obviously, much more trained.

I guess although I appreciate professionals and their fantastic voices as instruments, I feel like Christmas carols should be accessible to anyone to sing. Hearing someone like Josh Groban sing is sort of intimidating for an average singer like myself.

As for the Christmas carol I most enjoy singing myself, that would be "Joy to the World," without question. It's so fun to sing, and really does sound, well, joyful. It's impossible to be down while singing this song.

How about you? What are your favorite Christmas songs? And do you have any recommendations for really good Christmas albums for me?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Love Little Drummer Boy. Always have!
-moi

Anonymous said...

I'll be home for Christmas...even more so now than ever before.

mbmom7 said...

I love Adestes Fideles and Good King Wenceslas. Both fun to sing in a choir or by oneself. Go Tell it on the mountain is great. And Do you hear what I Hear- but not Whitney Houston's version.
For a more modern take, I like the Bare Naked Ladies/Sarah McLaclan medley of God rest ye merry and We three kings. Lively with a hint of mournful/yearning.

Kit said...

We Three Kings. I sing while I'm running the vacuum cleaner, because my voice is better inaudible to others.

Shelley said...

O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas carol....My #1 favorite singer of this carol is Jim Nabors, followed by Josh Groban, followed by Bing Crosby <3

Kit said...

Away in a Manger sung by John Denver.

Lisa said...

I discovered the Pentatonix last year, I really enjoy their Christmas tunes. 12 days of Christmas by Straight no chaser never fails to make me laugh.

Jenlee said...

O Holy Night, by John Berry, A country singer is my very favorite Christmas song. As far as an album, I was 19 when A Very Special Christmas was released and it has to be my favorite Christmas Album ever.It had artists like Whitney Houston, Sting, U2, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen. Want to get chills? Listen to Stevie Nicks sing Silent Night with Robbie Nevil.

JP2GiannaT said...

My LEAST favorite is "The Christmas Shoes". We do, however, love to hate it. Me and my adult siblings will occasionally sing it melodramatically in our mother's kitchen when we're together near Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Hark the Herald Angels Sing and Silent Night

Anonymous said...

So many to pick from! Joy to the World, Hark the Harold Angels Sing & Ding Dong Merrily on High are in my top picks.

Juli E.

Lynda W said...

Mary did you know.

Daisy said...

My favorite Still, Still, Still is Mannheim Steamroller.

I don't have favorite songs; I have favorite recordings or performances. My favorite Joy to the World is Pentatonix. Do You Know What I Hear? The Blenders. Oh, their harmonies!

Can you tell I'm a music teacher, among other talents? I love all things a cappella.