Friday, March 3, 2023

Friday Food: Some Failures

Friday

Short version: Tuna melts, carrot sticks, gritty fudge

Long version: The only children home with me were Cubby and Poppy, as A. had taken the other two to a judo tournament. The children at home implored me to make tuna melts for dinner. I was happy to oblige with such an easy dinner.

I had a salad with fried eggs and pecans in it.

I made the fudge because I had half a can of evaporated milk left from making the pralines. I've never made fudge before, and I don't have a candy thermometer, and I also didn't have the chocolate chips called for in the recipe I used. I substituted cocoa powder and butter. I don't know if it was that, or my lack of thermometer (and expertise), but it turned out very gritty. Tasted okay, but the texture was not creamy.

The kids ate it anyway, of course.

Saturday

Short version: Ground beef and bean chili, cornbread, improvised chocolate cookies

Our monthly Saturday Mass was this day, and that means we don't get home until about 5 p.m. I made the chili ahead of time, obviously.

I mostly made the cornbread ahead of time, too, by mixing up the wet and dry ingredients separately, and then combining them when we got home. I used this recipe for the first time. It was okay, although a little gritty. I think it would have been better with half cornmeal and half masa (the finely ground nixtamalized cornmeal used for tortillas).

Anyway, it was convenient to have it all ready to go when we got home, and also convenient to have on hand when A. got home with the other two around 7 p.m.

The cookies were pretty much completely made up. I needed to fill the cookie jar, and still didn't have any chocolate chips. So I had the idea to melt the gritty fudge and use that to make chocolate cookies. I also added some peanut butter and walnuts.

They didn't come out particularly well. Sort of stodgy and with not enough chocolate flavor. So I melted more fudge and kind of frosted the top of the cookies with that, which helped.

Oddly, after sitting for a day in the cookie jar, the cookies were much improved and actually pretty good. They got more moist somehow. I don't know how that works, but I'm glad it did.


Salvage cookies.

Sunday

Short version: Pizzas, green salad with vinaigrette, supposedly-maple/mocha custard

Long version: One cheese pizza, one with bacon and onion. 

And now, the custard.

Cubby got me a book at a library discard sale that is a collection of recipes from the lady behind the Storey books (the ones that are all about raising animals and other homesteading kinds of things). He got it for me over a year ago, and I had never made any of the recipes in it. So I decided to try one.

It was a custard recipe that used maple syrup as the sweetener and main flavoring agent, with the addition of a small amount of cocoa powder and coffee. It looked interesting, so I made it.

When we tasted it, however, it was oddly flavorless. Definitely needed more sweet, and I think also a bit more salt. When I thought about it, though, I couldn't remember actually adding the maple syrup. 

Yeah. I forgot the maple syrup in a maple custard

I added syrup to everyone's bowls and stirred it in, which of course improved it quite a lot. Since it didn't actually have any sweetener in it at all to start with. 

Sigh.

Monday

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, leftover hot dogs, leftover pizza, bread and butter, frozen green beans

Long version: I had a few cooked hamburgers left from the ones I made the night before just for me, so I wouldn't have to eat pizza.* And then there was enough uncooked ground beef to make a few more hamburgers. In the pan with the cooking hamburgers, I also put in some of the hot dogs left from the school lunch. 

One kid wanted hot dogs, the rest wanted hamburgers. A. got both. Everyone got one slice of leftover pizza, and then bread and butter if they were still hungry.

Tuesday

Short version: Meatloaf, baked potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, sauerkraut, raw cabbage

Long version: If I actually cook, it's because I'm not at work. Funny how that works. (Ha.)

The kids ate the raw cabbage, as is their preference. A. and I prefer it cooked, so we ate the sauerkraut. I still have at least half a dozen pints of sauerkraut. I just need to remember it's there.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftover meatloaf and hot dogs, fried potatoes, raw cabbage . . . again

Long version: Well, at least I cooked the potatoes even though it was a work day. I baked extra potatoes so I could use them this day. Which I did, by chopping them and frying them in butter and olive oil.

So energetic of me.

Want to see where I work?


The view from my desk. Although this is misleading, as my desk is just kind of stuck in a corner of a room that is used for a lot of other things, and I'm only at my desk for about half an hour out of the whole day. I move around a lot, which is nice, actually. I wouldn't want to stare at this all day.

Thursday

Short version: Steaks, rice, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I did work this day, too--subbing--but it was an early release day. Good thing, as the MiL arrived for a visit, and although I'm sure she wouldn't have made any disparaging comments about leftovers, it's not really the welcome dinner anyone hopes for. Steaks are better.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* Not that I don't want to eat pizza. It's just that I shouldn't.

8 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- i was out driving for a field trip to the Lincoln Museum all day, so easy. Leftover tuna salad, grilled cheese, and random items.
Sat- eggs, bacon bagels, applesauce, salad.
Sun-salad for husband, and chicken and noodles, broccoli.
Mon- baked chicken, oatmeal bread, salad. One kid had a stomach virus and barely ate toast.
Tues- salad, and the kids ate chicken, rice, broccoli.
Wed- salad, hot dogs, chicken patties, chips, broccoli. A thrown together meal as someone else succumbed to the stomach virus and I had done about 10 loads of laundry in the afternoon.
Thurs- a repeat of Wednesday.
I have spring break next week so I might up my dinner game. I need to gear up as I'll be having 2 exchange students from Germany for 2 weeks after that. They might not enjoy grilled cheese every other day, so real meals need to make their appearance.
I'm glad your kids ate the gritty fudge- no waste in your hone!

samcarter said...

Monday I made lasagna. I had lots of leftover cooked beef, so I made two pans of beef and cheese, one of just cheese. Weirdly, my youngest always votes for lasagna but will not eat leftovers of it. I mean, he loves it when I serve it the day it's made, but after that it's like his kryptonite. It’s a little frustrating, but he’s never liked leftovers of anything except maybe reheated burgers and tuna patties.

Tuesday we had a lot of leftover lasagna, but I wanted something a little different as well, so I made a pot of kale and lentil soup. (The onion I had was huge, so I only used half in the crockpot, chopped the rest and cooked it and froze it, the first time I have decided to Just Cook the Onion!). My youngest had been talking wistfully about corn dogs, so I made cornbread muffins with hot dog pieces poked into them. The hot dogs kind of sunk, which wasn’t my hope for them, but the muffins were tasty and everyone loved them as a side to their soup and leftover lasagna.

Wednesday was burgers and tater tots, a perennial favorite around here. A simple meal I didn’t have to cook was welcomed.

Thursday, taco night, again, a staple that I don’t have to cook. 🙂

Friday, tonight, will probably be a combo of leftover burgers and taco stuff and if there isn’t enough I’ll make some salmon patties. I’m fasting, so I’m just going to let the boys decide what they want. And Saturday will be homemade personal pizzas, as always!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: Maybe you can get your exchange students to make you some German food. :-)

samcarter: Proud of you for cooking the onion!

Anonymous said...

takeout
hot chicken salad, salad, roasted potatoes
pork chops, sweet potatoes, garlic knots, zucchini
chicken chili, taco shells, carrot sticks
chicken breast roll ups, mashed potatoes, kale salad
leftover chicken roll ups & potatoes, sauteed mushrooms & spinach
and for tonight a freezer clean out, hot dogs, meatballs, hot sausage, broccoli
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday - Buried in two plus feet of snow so of course I made soup...beef and barley...cheese and rolls to go with.

Monday - Leftovers from Monday! Soup always seems better the next day.

Tuesday - Chicken salad on top of mixed greens, last of the rolls, toasted walnuts with wine after.

Wendsday - Fried Kieblasa, potato chunks, onions and peppers together (not in that order of cource) and served it with toast.

Thursday - Hamburger patties, glazed carrots, sauteed sugar peas and peppers.

Friday - Plan on making homade macaroni and cheese, green salad and bread.

Happy weekend everyone!

Kit said...

Friday-pita pizzas (cheese only, no meat), salad, leftover angel food cake, and ranger cookies
Saturday-chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli
Sunday-bunless burgers, oven fries, broccoli
Monday-leftover cauliflower-potato soup, cornmeal muffins
Tuesday-enchiladas, peas
Wednesday-scrambled eggs, sourdough biscuits, stewed tomatoes
Thursday-ham and bean soup, fresh bread

Gemma's person said...

I have been known to say..mix my lasagna in to soup for a totally different taste. And use up leftovers.
I would eat lasagna almost every day though. :)

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: BBQ meatballs, homemade bread, I think some sort of veggie, homemade pickles. We didn't have the amount of BBQ sauce the recipe called for, so I threw what we did have in a pot and added wortchester, spicy ketchup, vinegar, and a little brown sugar...and it actually worked.

Tuesday: scrambled eggs with potato and leftover pancakes. Chris was working late, and I'd had a rough day. Kids are it, everyone was satisfied, I'll call it a win.

Wednesday: Broccoli cheese soup, leftover bread from Monday.

Thursday: chicken tacos made from a package of pre seasoned meat with leftover beans and previously frozen avocado. Another "momma's had a long day" meal.

Friday: sauteed lemon pepper fish and rice pilaf made by my husband, a salad hastily tossed together by me from garden greens. The fish was way better than it had any right to be.

Saturday: carne guisada (Tex Mex beef stew) tossed together to simmer at 3:30pm made from the small beef roast I meant to put in the slow cooker all day but forgot. I ended up using leftover fried and baked potato, some turnip greens I thinned from the garden, and leftover homemade refried beans in there and it still turned out as something most of the family ate.