Thursday, April 20, 2023

A Gelatin Mistake and a Surprise

Awhile ago, I bought a fairly large bag of gelatin. It was the non-GMO grass-fed whatever beef gelatin, and my whole idea was that I could use it to make rhubarb jello when we had lots of rhubarb.

Now we have lots of rhubarb! It's time to make jello!

Except . . . I couldn't find the gelatin.

Poppy and I spent at least twenty minutes looking for it. I remembered when I used it the first time, I decanted the contents of the bag into a jar, because the bag wouldn't really re-seal and I didn't want gelatin powder all over my pantry.

I knew I had labeled it, though. And I could not find it. 

Then I had a thought.

That gelatin looked an awful lot like the cream of wheat I also keep in a jar in the pantry. And the last time I made chicken food because we ran out of store-bought food, I poured cream of wheat and hot water into the chicken scrap container, but remembered thinking it didn't get very thick.

Perhaps because I poured the ENTIRE JAR of gelatin powder in there instead of cream of wheat?

Yes. I'm pretty sure I did.

So! I hope the chickens enjoyed their gelatin treatment! They're sure to have lovely strong toenails now.

Sigh.

On a happier note, look what we have now!


LAAAAMBS!

You can't really tell in the photo, but there are two. One girl, one boy, and both doing very well.

Boo gelatin, but yay spring lambing. 

That's all.


5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hooray for lambs! How many are you expecting this spring? Shame about the gelatin. I hope you can get some more while there’s still rhubarb.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lisa: Not sure. At least six more ewes are pregnant, I think.

Jody said...

I am disappointed about the rhubarb gelatin because I've been wanting to see how it turned out for you. (I want to see if it's actually good before I try to make it for my husband.)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jody: I ordered more gelatin. I am determined that there will be rhubarb jello this year, so stay tuned.

JP2GiannaT said...

Those chickens probably have great gut health now...

Oh man.