Wednesday, April 12, 2023

T.T.: The Glue That Binds

I have a tip! And it's not about food! It's not a Tuesday, but I'm going to pass it along to you anyway in the hopes it might help one of you. 

I tend to dry skin, and my hands are one of the biggest issues I have with that. I spend a lot of time with my hands in water or damp. Mostly because I cook so much that I'm constantly washing them, but also because of dishes. And I absolutely detest the feeling of gloves. I won't wear them. I always feel too clumsy in gloves. 

This results in dry skin on my hands, and, most annoyingly, in skin fissures on my right thumb.

A skin fissure is just a small crack in the skin that looks like a slit. I most commonly get them on the corner of my thumbnail. They're tiny, but surprisingly painful and hard to heal. 

The past week, I got one of these fissures in the center of my thumb, and it actually extended underneath the nail. 


It's very hard to get a good picture of a skin fissure, apparently. But it's there! (And trust me, this is a way less disgusting picture than you would see if you searched for the term skin fissure. I cannot handle the images that always accompany medical articles online. Gross.)

It was very ow, and also kept getting dirty because I was working in the garden so much.

Before anyone says it, no, I won't wear gloves in the garden, either.

Anyway.

Apart from the pain of this little fissure, I really wanted to keep it covered so the dirt wouldn't get in there. But the tip of a finger is a very hard place to keep a bandage on, especially because, again, my hands are constantly wet, which means I'm constantly having to change bandages on my hands.

Superglue to the rescue!

Okay, actually, I used Gorilla Super Glue, but same idea. Just a little dot right there on the fissure, and I could go about my merry way.

I don't know why it took me so long to think of this.

The glue only stayed put for about a day, thanks to, again, all the work my hands do and the subsequent washing, but that was long enough for the skin to start knitting together.

So! If you too are too stubborn to wear gloves and plagued by tiny little slits in your skin that keep getting vinegar or whatever in them, causing you to swear internally while you sprint for the sink to wash your hands YET AGAIN . . . 

Head to your nearest hardware store and grab some extra-strength adhesive. It'll cure what ails you.

6 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I was about to share my "interesting factoid" about superglue being invented to seal wounds during Vietnam, then realized I'd never double-checked whether that were actually true. So I looked it up, and it's apparently more true than false.

Good tip at the end about how not all superglues are the same, and there are some specifically formulated and marketed for use on skin. I learned something today.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Fellow all the time hand washer here ( I'm a caregiver and though I wear gloves constantly my poor hands get in bad shape pretty fast) I'll pass on to you what I was advised...

Fruit of the Earth vitamin E hand/ and body lotion. Two tubs for around 7 dollars at Walmart. We use it on the residents also instead of a&d lotion/gel.

Hope that helps!

JP2GiannaT said...

I'm gonna write this one down...

Kit said...

Glad I'm not the only one. Hand washer, fissures. I'll give the superglue a try, it sounds like a great idea.

Daisy said...

Have you heard of a product called NuSkin? It works like (ahem) super glue to help speed up healing of fissures and cracks in dry skin. But if you already have Gorilla glue in the house, I think you're all set. :)

Jenlee said...

In the winter for years I've had this issue - same place, corner of thumbnail. My mama worked as a volunteer EMT and I remembered her stories of Superglue to the rescue. This was rural SC in the 70s and 80s. It works perfectly and once it peels off or wears off, the spot is healed.