Friday, April 14, 2023

Friday Food: Easter!

Friday 

Short version: Spanish tortilla

Long version: I brought the two altar servers to the Good Friday service, and I stayed with them. It was a long Latin Mass, but thankfully, it started at 3 p.m., so we got home around 5:30 p.m. I had made the Spanish tortilla because it can be made ahead and served at whatever temperature. 

It's also an all-in-one meal if I add some sort of vegetable to it. Which I did. Finely chopped beet greens.

Saturday

Short version: Goulash-y thing with noodles, leftovers, bread and butter

Long version: This was the night of the Easter Vigil service, which was a REALLY long Latin Mass. This time, the boys needed to be there at 4 p.m. and I didn't anticipate them getting home until after 8 p.m.

I had taken out some sirloin steak I had thinly sliced, thinking I would make stir-fry with it. But since I had paprika sludge left from dyeing eggs (I drain most of the water off the top of the spices, leaving the sludgy spice at the bottom to be used), I instead made a kind of goulash with that. I didn't add tomato this time, instead just using onion, garlic powder, the paprika, sauerkraut, and water to simmer the meat, and then adding sour cream at the end. I think we all preferred this tomato-less version, actually.

The altar boys had that with egg noddles a bit after 3 p.m. I dropped them off at church at four to get ready, although the service wasn't until 5 p.m. I took the younger two with me to play on the playground in the village after we stopped at the church. While we were gone, A. ate the rest of the split pea soup from the freezer and then went to the actual service.

When I got home with the younger children, we ate the last of the neverending chili with the bread and butter.

And then the altar servers had tortillas and cheese when they got home at 8:30 p.m. 

Quite an evening, all around.

Let's all calm down with a pretty photo of the open tulip, shall we?


That's nice.

Sunday 

Short version: Ham, scalloped potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette, green peas, chiffon cake with chantilly cream and rhubarb/peach sauce

Long version: The ham had been in the freezer for awhile, so I didn't actually buy anything new to make this meal.

I've decided my new goal for Easter is to use at least one thing from the garden for our Easter dinner. I found one stalk of asparagus and some parsley in the garden that I chopped up for the salad. 

I made the chiffon cake mostly because it uses a lot of eggs--and I still have a LOT of eggs--and is not chocolate. My kids get plenty of chocolate in their Easter baskets, so there's no sense in going overboard.

Chiffon cake is just like an angel food cake, except the yolks are used. I used this recipe, including the chantilly cream. 


Do you see the tiny little carrot on the cake plate? A. dug that up in the garden earlier in the day when we were planting green beans. It was pretty limp and sad, so I just used it as a decoration. Mostly for amusement, since it wasn't actually particularly decorative.

The cake was fine, but I really liked the chantilly cream. It had a bit of sour cream in with the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla, which gave it a slightly more complex flavor than straight whipped cream, and also allowed it to hold up to being refrigerated overnight. Whipped cream gets liquidy if it's not used right away. This didn't.

I didn't have any strawberries to use on top of the cake, but I did get a few small stalks of rhubarb from the garden that I cooked and mashed with some home-canned peaches and sugar to make a sauce for the cake. That was really good.

Monday

Short version: Spaghetti with meat sauce and ricotta, dilly beans

Long version: I had to make ricotta because our last gallon of milk was separating. 


Draining the ricotta.

Since I was making ricotta, I made a meat sauce to put it in. And since I was making a meat sauce, I made spaghetti.

That's often how things unfold in my kitchen. And it's one reason I don't make menu plans ahead of time.

Tuesday

Short version: Cheeseburgers (with buns!), carrot sticks

Long version: I was making bread, so I made some buns for the cheeseburgers. I used some of the whey from draining the ricotta in the bread, and it made it very soft. Perfect for hamburger buns. I even had lettuce and thinly sliced onions for the top. Deluxe indeed.

Well, for our house. Low expectations, remember?

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers of various kinds

Long version: Some had sandwiches with meat sauce in them (surprisingly tasty). Some had leftover spaghetti with sauce. All had dilly beans and plain ricotta. Not together, though.

Thursday

Short version: Sausages, leftover scalloped potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I had one package of boudin sausage and one of smoked beef sausage left from my stock-up in Texas over Christmas. I think there's one more small package of kielbasa left, and then all the sausage will be gone. Sadness.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


7 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- penitential fish sticks , grilled cheese, fries.
Sat-i made cottage cheese chocolate cookies for something different- yum. Pasta with sauce or cheese. Easy night as I needed to take 2 sons to the Vigil Mass. Not in Latin but 2.5 hours of holiness starting at 8 pm. Got home too wired to sleep and finished up cheese braid for breakfast and did Easter Bunny stuff.
Sun- roast chicken , broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower , rolls, stuffing, rice. No special dessert as candy was flowing.
Mon- burgers, hot dogs, chips, broccoli.
Tues- track meet far away, but we got home at a reasonable time.leftovers for everyone.
Wed- track meet not far away, but still easy night. salad with leftover chicken for husband. Grilled cheese for kids. Some chips still left over.
Thurs- tuna saladfor husband, tortilla chips, cheese salsa for kids. Homemade cinnamon rolls for dessert. ( tired of chocolate!)
Looking forward to a rainy weekend- need to finish up taxes!
Enjoy the week ahead!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I have never heard of cottage cheese cookies, but I do have a lot of cottage cheese the school cook gave me in my refrigerator at this very moment. It's low fat, and therefore not beloved by my family, but I bet the cookies would be. Do you have a recipe you can link to? I found several online.

mbmom11 said...

The closest recipe I found is this one:
https://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/27/cottage-cheese-double-chocolate-cookies/

Mine doubles this recipe, except mine has no baking soda and uses 1.75 c of white sugar instead of the white/brown mix. I also don't bother with powdered sugar or frosting on top.

Adding just cocoa to a cookie batter never seems to work well - they rarely taste chocolately enough. The cottage cheese helps carry the chocolate flavor better.. I think you could add nuts as well . (I don't do nuts in anything unless it's a special recipe. Most kids don't like them.)
I need to make another batch this weekend - the rest of the container of cottage cheese sits unloved in my fridge.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I was too impatient to wait and made the cookies already, but that was the recipe I used. Yay! I tripled it, and I didn't put anything on top, either. I did add ground almonds to them, because my kids do like nuts. And now we can pretend they're protein cookies. :-)

Anonymous said...

grilled steaks, pasta/vegetable salad, sauteed zucchini/mushrooms
Easter meal at family's - my contributions were scalloped pineapple, bologna roll ups
tilapia, sweet potatoes, garlic knots, kale salad
chicken breasts, roasted carrots/potatoes, sauteed sugar peas/mushrooms
shrimp broccoli skillet meal, roasted potatoes, garlic knots
beef tips w/mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes, homegrown asparagus
and for tonight veggie burgers, more homegrown asparagus
Linda

Mable said...

You can stop whipped cream frosting from separating so quickly by adding a few tablespoons of boxed vanilla pudding to it as you beat it. You won't taste the pudding but it adds stabilizers.

Kit said...

Friday-grilled cheese sandwiches, green beans, seven layer bars
Saturday-turkey loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Sunday-kielbasa, pierogi (not homemade), broccoli, hot cross buns (I did make those), lots of candy
Monday-egg salad sandwiches, peas
Tuesday-bean soup from the freezer, biscuits
Wednesday-stirfried chicken and vegetables, rice
Thursday-meat pies, coleslaw