Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Soundtrack of an Era

Today is Poppy's last day of preschool. Our preschool is two days a week (but long days--from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), so she's been going only on Mondays and Wednesdays for the last two years. Those are also the days I work. That meant that Tuesdays and Thursdays were days when her brothers were at school, and she was at home with me.

Lately, our days at home together have always included music. I typically spend the mornings working in the kitchen or cleaning the house, and Poppy was always ready to put on music for us. She got quite adept at finding her favorites (heavily influenced by my own childhood in the 80's) on YouTube. Now, of course, YouTube remembers what we listen to most frequently and queues it all up for her.

She would often spread out two big blankets on the floor to make a dance floor and then ask me to dance with her. Of course, I did.


All dressed up for The Stray Cats. (She was trying on her Easter outfit.)

I know we can still dance, but it's no fun with a bunch of boys rolling their eyes. She starts kindergarten next year, which means our regular girls' days are at an end. YouTube might even forget our playlist of songs. 

But I won't. I won't ever forget.

P.S. You want to know our playlist, don't you? Of course you do. It always starts with Poppy's favorite song.

"Girls Just Want To Have Fun"--Cyndi Lauper

"Stray Cat Strut"--The Stray Cats

"La Isla Bonita"--Madonna

"I Wanna Dance with Somebody"--Whitney Houston

"Rock This Town"--The Stray Cats

"Conga"--Gloria Estefan

"Walking on Sunshine"--Katrina and the Waves

5 comments:

Tu mere said...

So, so special. Wonderful that, after so many years of male children experiences, you have a beautiful daughter who can go head to head with her brothers, but also is totally into the things that make a day happy and fun for you both. Yep, makes me sad as well just thinking about it. Would totally miss the music and dancing part!

mbmom11 said...

No 80s' Playlist is complete without "walking on sunshine" - great choices!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the boys remember dancing to Billy Idol! Mil

Mei said...

It sounds track at home is "70's Pop" because That is what June tells "Alexa" to play every morning. It seems June believes that is what I wishi to hear since alexa has difficulty understanding me at times and plays that.

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful memories!
Linda