Thursday, August 3, 2023

Friday Food: Hooray for Tomato Salad!

Friday 

Short version: Sloppy joe sandwiches, tomato salad

Long version: I mostly made the sloppy joes because A. brought home my favorite barbecue sauce, which can only be purchased in New York: Dinosaur BBQ's Sensuous Slathering Sauce.

Could I make something similar myself? Of course. But it's better if I don't have to.

Even more exciting than the barbecue sauce was the tomato salad. A. also brought home a few big tomatoes from a roadside stand, and I cut one up for the salad. It was just the tomato, garlic powder, a few precious leaves of basil from the tiny and battered plants in the garden, salt, and the rest of a jar of vinaigrette.


Simple, but spectacular.

It was so good. So, so good. The liquor left in the bowl at the end is the best part, too.

It is possible this is the only tomato salad I will get this year, which made it a little bittersweet. But mostly sweet.

Saturday

Short version: Lamb chops, spaghetti, cucumbers, carrot sticks 

Long version: A child who shall remain nameless had declared the day before that he wanted to cook steak for dinner. Unfortunately for him, I had already taken out the ground beef for sloppy joes, and we don't have any steak left from our last cow.

I did tell him he could make dinner this night, though, and choose whatever meat he wanted from the freezer. He chose sheep loin chops. He started them on the grill, but didn't have enough charcoal to cook them all the way, so we finished them under the oven broiler.

The spaghetti had I think cream, cream cheese, Italian seasoning, and a lot of pepper on it.

I added the vegetables. Because I'm a Mom with a capital "M."

Sunday

Short version: Brisket, mashed potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing, pots de creme

Long version: We had our new priest over for dinner. I wanted to make something that could mostly be done ahead, so I actually cooked the brisket overnight and sliced it in the morning before re-heating it with the juices at dinnertime.

I added a garlic clove to the mashed potatoes, since it was a company dinner. And garlic in mashed potatoes is delicious.

I didn't have quite enough of the oakleaf lettuce left from the commodities this week for a salad for seven people, so I scavenged some not-too-beaten-up beet greens and the least bitter of the garden lettuce to mix with the oakleaf. There was also tomato, and carrot shavings.

Our guest had seconds of everything, so I guess he liked it. 

Monday

Short version: Pork escalopes with sauerruben, rice, carrots, frozen grapes

Long version: A. had bought a package of two pork sirloin roasts that were inconveniently frozen together. I thawed them just enough to separate them, and put one back in the freezer. The other still wasn't completely thawed at dinner, so I just sliced off very thin pieces--I'll call them escalopes to be fancy--and fried those with paprika, garlic powder, and a little salt to brown before adding some of the sauerruben (fermented turnips) to cook with the pork.

This was very tasty. I really can't tell much of a difference between sauerruben and the more common sauerkraut, except, as A. remarked, the texture is different. The sauerruben holds up to cooking better than sauerkraut, which just kind of melts down. 

We had the frozen grapes because we got an entire case of green grapes from commodities. Like twenty pounds of grapes. I froze a bunch of them individually on pans to use in fruit shakes, but frozen grapes are also very good to eat plain in the summer. So we did.

Also in the kitchen this day, I made switchel.


That's how you know football practices have begun.

Tuesday

Short version: Last-minute pizza, carrots

Long version: My plan had been to cook the rest of the sirloin roast I had cut pieces off of the day before. I did it slow in the oven in the morning, because the bone on those is really awkward and the meat has to be tender enough to pull off the bone to get it all.

I did indeed cook it, and then I realized it wasn't enough meat for all of us.

However! I was baking bread that day, and then when I was at the post office I picked up a can of spaghetti sauce (they often have excess commodities things for the taking at our post office), and the kids were asking randomly about pizza . . . 

Pizza was foreordained. So I made it.

I made two, and one had like eight pieces of pepperoni on it because that's all that was left in the package, so they were mostly just cheese.

Carrots from the garden. We'll call them personal-sized carrots. Ahem.

Wednesday

Short version: Skillet thing, cucumber, tomato, yogurt, granola

Long version: I had been kind of planning to make fried rice, but we just had that and one of my kids is not a huge fan. So instead I browned about a pound of ground beef and added some pressure-canned beans, onion, garlic, and the juice from a can of tomatoes, cooked that for awhile, then added leftover rice and grated cheddar.

I was going to add chile powder and cumin to make it sort of Mexican, but it tasted pretty good as it was, so I didn't. And then all the kids exclaimed about how good it was and got seconds and thirds.

I just never know what's going to be a hit.

I had one tomato left from the ones A. brought back from his roadtrip. The cucumber was one I got at the tiny store in the village. The owner has a small garden out back and sometimes has produce on the counter. I had a little bit of ranch dressing left, so I just chopped up the cucumber and mixed it with the ranch.

Fancy.

A. got some yogurt after dinner, which inspired a second round of eating in the children. They all had either yogurt (plain), yogurt with granola, or granola with milk, according to preference.

I don't care if they want to eat after dinner, as long as they've eaten their actual meal and get their secondary food themselves. After the main event, I am done with food prep.

Thursday

Short version: Spaghetti and meatballs, sauteed zucchini, carrots

Long version: I had used only the juice from a can of whole tomatoes for the previous night's skillet meal, so I used the actual tomatoes to make the sauce for the meatballs. There wasn't a whole lot for the spaghetti, but I added some extra garlic powder and butter and it was fine.

The zucchini was from the CSA box we got from commodities. I just sauteed it in olive oil with garlic.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


10 comments:

Kit said...

Friday-swiss steak, fresh bread, tossed salad
Saturday-we lost our power in a storm today. So I made grilled cheese sandwiches on the camp stove, which of course the kids liked better than anything I could really cook.
Sunday-leftover Swiss steak, baked potatoes, green beans from our garden (about a cupful, but still)
Monday-spam and cheese casserole (again considered gourmet by all kids), coleslaw, ice cream bars
Tuesday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Wednesday-tomato sandwiches with tomatoes from the garden, peas
Thursday-leftover spam casserole, sliced cucumbers

mbmom11 said...

Fri- wicked hot still, so Domino's, using up last of a gift card. The extra pizza provided future lunches and dinner.
Sat- I was out of town in the afternoon, hitting Sams club and other errands in big city an hour away , so leftovers of all kinds.
Sun- grilled sausage, beyond burgers, hobo potatoes , asparagus , cantaloupe, apple slices, chips.
The apple slices appear often as picky eater decided he liked apple again.
Mon- the library had a roller skating party to celebrate the end of the reading program, so we went for a bit right at dinner time. So they had snacks there. I made grilled cheese as well once we returned home. My husband foraged in the fridge- probably pizza.
Tues- hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, apple slices.
Wed- a cooler day, so stew! I used eye round steaks, because that was cheapest at Sam's club- my philosophy with most meats is that chucking them in some broth for a few hours will make something edible, and most kids love the gravy so it works. Homemade bread, carrots, noodles, broccoli, but the homemade banana bread didn't last until dinner.
Thurs- I had grilled some chicken breast along with the burgers on Tues , so I sliced that up for sandwiches, chips, applesauce, pears. I also took a frozen banana bread ( from last week's burst of baking) out for snacking, but it didn't make it to dinner. So ice cream for dessert again.
It's interesting how, after kids eat a meal, they sometimes can eat almost as much again as a snack or second dinner. It's like they're Hobbits. And other times it's as if they exist on air. I figure though, if they're hungry, they can eat as long as they're not wasting food. Growth spurts hit unexpectedly.
I hope you can find some other sources of fresh vegetables!

Cathy W said...

They sell your NY BBQ sauce on Amazon! I looked because I noticed some vanilla I have only found at a farmers market in Texas is also sold on Amazon. I am always amazed at what they sell that I think is special and only sold at a particular place. Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

Gemma's person said...

I am just teasing here...but, what could be better than Spam casserole...of course, leftover Spam casserole. Please be laughing Kit. I am just teasing.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cathy W.: Oh, they do now! It didn't used to be available there. However, it is about twice the price of buying it at a store in NY, so I guess I'll probably still only get it when someone brings it to me from there.

Natalie J said...

Summer tomato salads are the best. We have a few tomatoes but they're all green, so I got some from a produce stand today because I was impatient. They're delicious and totally worth it.

Sunday: We had family over for dinner, and we served curried rice and chicken with cranberries. Cut veggies on the side, chocolate cake with homemade buttercream on top. It was my first time making buttercream, and it turned out well!
Monday: I made a kimchi, cabbage, and spam stir fry from a library cookbook, and it was AMAZING. But I purposely made it this night so people who don’t appreciate kimchi like I do (the other two members of my household) could have leftovers from the night before.
Tuesday: Preschooler’s choice, corn dogs this time.
Wednesday: We were fed red Thai curry at my grandparents house.
Thursday: We saw Andy Grammer in concert, the venue let us pack in food 🙂
Friday/Saturday: Leftovers

Andra said...

It was another rough week for me.
I got the pink eye cleared up with antibiotics and then got stung two times by either a yellow jack or bumble bee. I didn’t get a good look at it and my daughter told me it was yellow and black. Umm…I don’t react well to any insect bites so needless to say, I have a moderate localized allergic reaction and its has been very uncomfortable. Hoping the prescription steroid cream works. If not back to the doctor I go.
So, meals did get made but I cannot remember all of it. It’s been a stressful three weeks. My memory is shot.
-spaghetti and meatballs with added vegetables to the sauce. My picky five-year-old said he prefers the chicken meatballs I make and not the ground beef ones. But, I was able to get him to eat it without much complaining, so I called it a win.
-Fish, rice, green beans. Another win. My son loves parmesan crusted fish. My husband and I ate salmon. And my daughter was at a youth event at church and I have no idea what she ate. But, she said it would pass is dinner.
-leftovers one night
-Oven fried pork chops, roasted red potatoes, corn on the cob for my kids and husband. I diced up a zucchini and put some everything but the bagel seasoning on it for myself.

I’m praying and hoping for a more relaxing week next week with minimal “excitement” and no itching or pain.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Natalie J: How was the concert? I just last week randomly put on Andy Grammer while I was cleaning the kitchen and then had "Honey, I'm Good" stuck in my head for days. :-)

Andra: I'll pray along with you. Yikes.

Natalie J said...

It was a really great concert for the first 30 minutes, but then it got cancelled due to lightning :( But I'm trying to be grateful for the great show we got. He's a great live performer.

Karen said...

I'll never forget the first time I went to Dinosaur BBQ - I fell in love instantly.