Sunday, August 6, 2023

Snapshots: County Fair Time

The county fair weekend is really the end of summer for us, as I start back to work tomorrow for in-service, and then school starts the following Monday. So the fair is the last summer hurrah.


Ready to gather candy and Otter Pops at the parade.


Cora waiting to be saddled for the horse events at the kids' rodeo.


Heading over to the rodeo arena.


I was there, too, in proper fair attire. Which, for me, includes the world's dorkiest hat. Gotta have it, though, if I'm going to be at the fairgrounds for hours and not end up beet red.

I also spend the week before I start back to work trying to finish some of the things I meant to do over the summer and somehow never got to. It's kind of like nesting, I suppose, just instead of a baby at the end of it, I have to go to work.

Definitely not as much fun.

Anyway! One of things I did was empty one of the drawers in the cabinet under the microwave in which I store canning jar lids and rings. 


It was very full and very messy. Good thing I had a helper.


Much better. And now I know that I will not need to buy rings for, well, years.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

8 comments:

Andra said...

I do not remember ever taking my kids to a county fair. I feel like they are missing out.

The blue sky in the background of your pictures always amazes me.

My kids have two weeks left the the chaos of school starts.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: In my experience, unless you live in a VERY rural area, county fairs have devolved into mostly just carnivals. The agricultural element is pretty rare to find nowadays. Ours is so small that it's JUST the agricultural stuff--animal showing, rodeo, etc.--but that's not typical anymore.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe it's time for school, again, so soon!
Linda

Mei said...

I have one week until school begins for me. The students begin in two. It will be my last year teaching in Japan. I will miss it.

mbmom11 said...

My county's fair is in July,- with agriculture, tractor pulls, and rides. In some ways, it marks the beginning of the end of summer, because pre-band camp and " captain practices" for sports start creeping in. My public kids school start on Thursday- too early! My kids in the Catholic school won't start until Sept 5, thanks to storm damage done to school. (And they have to go to a different building because of the renovation.
This is going to be a rough start for many families.) My decluttering plans of getting rid of 20% of our stuff did not happen. I need an able assistant like yours!
And truly, you have the bluest sky I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

The odd thing about the Twin Cities is that the State Fair is held in St. Paul, right in the heart of the place. It's enormous, crowded, noisy, and a lot of fun, even though I stopped going a few years ago. Mary in MN

Tu mere said...

Really want to make it to the fair next year. So much to see with the kids participating. Wow, that is a bunch of jar lids!

JP2GiannaT said...

See if your area has a junior livestock show, those are often pretty similar.