Friday, November 10, 2023

Friday Food: With Unrelated Photos

Friday 

Short version: Pizza, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: One cheese pizza, one with bell pepper and pepperoni. And apparently, every member of my family now likes to dip their pizza in ranch dressing. Which means I now must always make ranch dressing when I make pizza.

They must have picked this up from the children at school, because this is not something A. and I have ever done.

Saturday

Short version: Leftovers, raw broccoli

Long version: A. was hunting with one of the boys. The remaining children had leftover tuna/salmon patties and mashed potatoes. Ditto the broccoli.

I had a salad.

Random photo break!


The flowers outside the front door of the church, before the freeze.

Sunday

Short version: Elk steaks, rice, raw cucumbers, chocolate pudding pops

Long version: Those elk steaks really are good. It probably helps that I marinate them before cooking, which is not something I do with beef steaks.

I hadn't made the chocolate pudding pops in awhile. I use this recipe, except I increase the cocoa powder by a tablespoon, slightly decreased the sugar, and used a bit of cream in place of some milk. They are very good.

We only have four popsicle molds, so A. asked to have his as just pudding. It is also good that way, which is good to know.

Monday

Short version: Various sausages, leftover starches, raw and sauteed sugar snap peas

Long version: I had andouille sausage, boudin sausage, and some random smoked pork and beef sausage for those of us (me) who can't handle the spicy sausage. The boudin is the crowd favorite, and that's what gets eaten first.

There were both leftover rice and leftover mashed potatoes, which were distributed according to preference.

I had a lot of the sugar snap peas left from the bag I bought for the elementary Halloween party. The children prefer theirs raw. The adults prefer them cooked. Everyone was accomodated.

Tuesday

Short version: Elk stir-fry, rice

Long version: I got a call at 5:30 a.m. asking if I could sub for a sick teacher. Luckily, I had some uncooked elk steak in the refrigerator. I sliced that thin in the morning and put it in a marinade. When I got home, I used broccoli, the last of the mini bell peppers I had also bought for the school party, some already cooked onion, frozen peas, and the elk to make a stir-fry. Very tasty it was, too.

Oh look, an unrelated food photo!


Orange-yolked home egg on the left, yellow-yolked store egg on the right.

Wednesday

Short version: Chile-rice skillet

Long version: I was at First Communion class with the communicant right after school/work. We got home at 5:30 p.m. I had a container of chile in the freezer from the big batch I made for Halloween last week. That, plus the leftover rice, plus some shredded cheese, was dinner.

You may have noticed there was no separate vegetable. Good thing I add squash and tomatoes to my chile. It counts.

Thursday

Short version: Tortillas with cheese and refried beans, concessions food

Long version: This was a very complicated afternoon. I had to sub again, so I was at work all day. We had a post-surgical video call with the doctor at 4:30 p.m., which is pretty much right after we get home from school. But then the doctor was an hour late, so it finished up right as we had to leave for the volleyball game, at which Poppy was cheering.

While I was waiting for the doctor to call, I microwaved corn tortillas with cheese and refried beans. Fast, and relatively balanced. Except for the lack of vegetable. Again.

Three of the four children were at the volleyball game with A. and me. Said children brought some money so they could get food at the concession stand. I think they got nachos and hot dogs, but I'm not certain.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


3 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- stew, broccoli, carrots, bread.
Sat- homemade pizza
Sun- baked chicken, broccoli, rice, hash browns
Mon- basketball game, so I made chicken gravy with leftovers, broccoli, noodles for the people at home. basketball boy had chips and salsa before the game, and a few grilled cheeses after. I had popcorn at the game.
Tues- husband out of town so easy night. Homemade oatmeal bread, bacon, apple slices.
Wed- hamburgers, chicken strips, fries, apple slices.
Thurs- birthday but basketball. So I grabbed the leftover pizza from a few weeks ago out of the freezer and warmed it up. Birthday cake. This was fast before boy went off to basketball. Apple slices and chicken patty for kid who doesn't like leftover pizza.
Enjoy the weekend!

Mei said...

It was another week of avoiding our normal fare. I think I am learning. At least, no one is claiming I am trying to poison them.

Friday - Turkey Fried Rice, Sriracha Slaw and green beans
Saturday - Black Bean Chicken, Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
Sunday - Breakfast Sliders, bacon, and fruit salad. — Am I the only one that prepares breakfast for dinner?
Monday - Creamy garlic pork chops, garlic Smashed Potatoes, classic steakhouse wedge salad. Can you tell we like garlic?
Tuesday - Cheeseburger stuffed meatloaf, corn on the cob, brussels sprouts, oatmeal cranberry cookies
Wednesday - Spinach ravioli bake, cheesy bread, garden salad.
Thursday - Creamy chicken noodle soup, buttermilk cornbread, Kale Salad
Have a wonderful weekend!

Kit said...

Friday-pork and potatoes, coleslaw, apple pie a la mode
Saturday-we went to Gettysburg and didn't get home til 5. So we had little smoked sausages, potatoes baked in the microwave, and coleslaw. On the table in 15 minutes, yay!
Sunday-baked beans from the freezer, cornbread
Monday-leftover pork and potatoes, peas
Tuesday-leftover baked beans and cornbread
Wednesday-barbecued beef on a bun, coleslaw
Thursday-spaghetti and cheese, cauliflower