Friday, December 15, 2023

Friday Food: With a Special Breakfast

Friday 

Short version: Leftover chicken soup, cheese quesadillas, chocolate milkshakes

Long version: We had Mass at 5 p.m., although only one child was well enough to go with me. That child wanted to eat before Mass, so we had an early dinner of the chicken and rice soup I had made the day before, and cheese quesadillas made with flour tortillas.

I made the milkshakes when I got home, because the newest sick child had--of course--a sore throat.

Sore throats and coughing have been a continuous theme this fall. 

Saturday

Short version: Elk goulash, mashed potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I've started making goulash without tomatoes, and with sauerkraut, and apparently everyone prefers it this way. Except the one child who informed me he hates goulash. 

Huh. Never knew that. Have some mashed potatoes, then.

Let's pause for a photo.


Abominable Snow Jasper.

Sunday

Short version: Fried pork, rice, nuked broccoli, chocolate ice cream

Long version: This was the day we went to get our tree. We went early, right after the after-church crepes, so the snow wouldn't melt too much and turn to mud. Less chance of getting stuck on the dirt track that way. I had taken a pork shoulder roast out of the freezer before church, so I stuck that in a low oven before we left and let it cook until it was tender. Then I shredded it and fried it in the rendered lard with salt, garlic powder, and paprika.

I microwaved the broccoli so I wouldn't have to dirty another pot, and it worked pretty well. I just have to do it in one-minute increments so I check it frequently and it doesn't overcook.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, pork quesadillas

Long version: First Communion class has switched to Mondays for the next couple of weeks, so leftovers were a good choice when I got home at 5:30 p.m. from that.

About half the family finished the goulash and potatoes. The others had quesadillas made with corn tortillas, cheese, and some of the pork shoulder. 

Tuesday

Short version: Ham, etc., at school

Long version: This was the night of the Christmas program, featuring all of the elementary classes doing various skits, songs, and dances. This meant my younger three children featured heavily, since I have a child in each elementary class*. After the entertainment, the FFA serves a ham dinner. Besides the ham, there were cheesy potatoes, oddly sweet green beans, dinner rolls, and cupcakes and pudding dirt cups.

The pudding dirt cups were a big hit with the kids. They were a layer of chocolate pudding, then a layer of whipped cream, then crushed oreos with rock candies and a gummy worm, all meant to look like, well, dirt. There were little spoons in the shape of shovels, too, and it was all very cute. It was meant to go with our theme of construction this year, as we're just starting the building of a new school.

I was happy to let someone else feed my family for one night, as I spent most of the day making bread, crispy rice treats, and Mexican wedding cookies to contribute to the silent auction. 

I was actually at home this morning, instead of subbing at school or taking care of sick children, which is what most of my days "off" from work this school year have been so far. This morning, however, I was able to make my special breakfast and eat it without interruption.


I actually eat two eggs with salsa every morning. What makes this special is the toast and herb tea.

Well, it's special to me, anyway.

Wednesday

Short version: Snow's, grilled cheese sandwiches

Long version: It was cold and foggy and raining. Soup seemed appropriate. I didn't have any made, but luckily, my sole Black Friday purchase online was a case of Snow's Condensed Clam Chowder. This is a taste of A.'s childhood, and all the kids like it, too.

I made two cans of it. With the condensed kind you add another can each of milk, so it makes quite a bit. And then I made a grilled cheese sandwich for everyone.

Was there a vegetable? Nope. No one seemed to miss it, either.

Thursday

Short version: Elk steaks, spaghetti, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: Plain spaghetti with just butter, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. This made a certain girl very happy.

And please note that not only was there a vegetable, there was a salad. Which had three vegetables in it (lettuce, tomatoes, and radishes). Impressive, I know.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* We only have three elementary classes because we have two or three grades in each class. And even with that, the largest class only has 11 students. This is why we are known as a "micro school."


3 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- needed easy, so bacon, grilled cheese, apple slices.
Sat- I was at work giving a final, so my husband made pasta, sausage, and garlic bread. I got home and ate leftover bread.
Sun- cold weather means stew! Also needed easy with special olympics basketball and a Christmas program in the afternoon Beef stew with carrots and potatoes, broccoli, mashed potatoes for some, biscuits.
Mon- away basketball game in the town here I teach, and I had to give a final, so boy came with me and hung out until game time. He had mcdonald's in my office and random snacks too. Teen at home cooked chicken strips and fries for the rest.
Tues- game at home, I left tuna salad for husband. but teen was in charge of chicken strips- at least that was the plan. He texted a little after 5 that he had chills and felt sick. :( so I did grilled cheese and chips when I got home.
Wed- another home game, and no one had eaten, so when I got back, we repeated Tues.
Thurs- busy afternoon with eye Dr appointments, so chicken stew, carrots, broccoli, noodles, biscuits. The string beans had developed nasty stuff, so they had to go in the trash.
My kids go to a small Catholic elementary school, while not micro, is tiny compared to many places. My son is the only boy of 6 kids in 8th grade- which is why the 8th grade basketball team has mostly 5th and 6th graders.
Enjoy the snow!

Mei said...

It has been a simple week.
Friday: Mac and Cheese
Saturday: Beef Stew, Green Salad
Sunday: Smoked Sausage, Baked Veggies, Chocolate Mousse
Monday: Spaghetti, Green Salad
Tuesday: Pork chops, Turmeric Rice
Wednesday: Turkey and Broccoli Pastry, Green Beans
Thursday: Pork Tenderloin, Baked Potato, Salad

Kit said...

Friday-ginger beef, rice, broccoli
Saturday-sausages, baked potatoes, coleslaw, Little Debbie Christmas tree cakes
Sunday-enchiladas from the freezer, coleslaw
Monday-sour cream bean bake, muffins. No child ate a bean (and no surprise).
Tuesday-beef and cabbage, baked potatoes
Wednesday-tuna sandwiches, coleslaw
Thursday-sesame chicken, baked potatoes, broccoli