Tuesday, December 19, 2023

It's Cookie Season!

'Tis for sure the season to be making, gifting, receiving, and eating cookies. When I was in high school, my church youth group used to gather at my house to make like five different kinds of cookies. Then we would make up dozens of cookie plates to deliver to nursing homes and the elderly homebound of our parish.

That was fun, but only because there were a lot of people doing it. It's not something I would do on my own, not being a naturally enthusiastic baker.

I do bake a lot, though, and that is because I have three eating machines in my home*. Cookies are my alternative to buying snacks.

Mostly I make standard cookie-jar cookies, of the sort that are sturdy, have some protein, and will hang out quite happily in the cookie jar all week (with a piece of bread to keep them from getting hard).

But when I want to make a true dessert cookie, I make Mexican Wedding Cookies. 

I had never made them before this year. They are not the easiest cookie to make, because they aren't very forgiving of winging it, which is my typical baking style. Mexican Wedding Cookies are essentially a shortbread with nuts, and shortbread is somewhat finicky.

I tried a couple of recipes, but the one I use over and over again is this one. I like it because they hold their shape well, but I do have a few (uh, ten) notes for you if you want to try them.

First, and most importantly: This recipe doesn't have any salt. BOO. All recipes need salt. I always use salted butter, but they need more salt than that. I add about 3/4 of a teaspoon, but you could start with 1/2 teaspoon and see if you think it needs more after you taste the dough.

Second: You have to use walnuts. The oil in walnuts is important to this recipe. I used almonds once, and they did not hold together.

Third: Some of the walnuts absolutely do need to be ground. Not an optional step. The ground walnuts help them hold their shape better than just pieces of walnuts. Last time I made them, I actually ground them with my immersion blender right in a bowl, which was much less of a hassle than a food processor. Although you can make the whole recipe in a food processor if you want. I did that the first time I made them, and it worked just fine.

Fourth: For the chopped walnuts, you can absolutely just crush them in your hands, so as to avoid having to use a cutting board and knife. I hate dirtying two dishes just to chop nuts. Walnuts break easily enough in your hands to skip the knife.

Fifth: Because this is essentially a shortbread, the dough is weird. It's more like biscuit dough or pie dough than cookie dough, in that it looks impossibly crumbly when you're mixing it, but will hold together if you squish a bit in your fingers.


This is while I was forming the cookies, but you can see all the crumbs at the bottom of the bowl. Never fear; it's supposed to look like that.

Sixth: This dough really does need to be chilled. I usually shove it in the freezer for fifteen minutes or so, because I'm impatient.

Seventh: When forming the cookies, if you squish the dough together quite firmly and then roll it just a couple of times in your hands (too many tries at rolling it will make it fall apart), they will mostly retain the round shape that I think is appropriate for these cookies.

Eighth: Be careful of overbaking. The recipe says the tops should be lightly browned, but you can't really see that very well. Better to carefully flip one over to see how brown it is on the bottom.


Perfect. And you can see they don't really spread, which is handy for fitting the whole recipe on one pan.

Ninth: You really have to leave them on the pan to cool for awhile, or they will just fall apart while you're rolling them in powdered sugar.

Tenth: Rolling anything in powdered sugar makes a huge mess. But I'm sure you already knew that.


Powdered sugar just waiting to explode all over the place.

Because these are a slightly more involved cookie than most, I make them for things like the silent auctions of baked goods we have at school sometimes as fundraisers. They tend to go for quite a bit of money, because they are unusual.


I think these cookies eventually went for $40 at the silent auction last week.

Okay! If you actually read all of that, I hope you'll try making these cookies. They are invariably a hit, and are definitely something different if you're looking for a unique cookie to contribute to a holiday event.

* I refer here to my rapidly growing boys. My daughter doesn't even come close to their level of consumption.


7 comments:

Jody said...

And if you want to make it a more complicated recipe, ditch the walnut pieces. Then smoosh the dough around a chocolate kiss to make a walnut-sized cookie. It'll be a tight fit around the kiss, but it is a delightful cookie.

Also, if you have a black walnut lover, those'll work, too. But only the black walnut lovers will like them.

mbmom11 said...

Trust me- teen girls eat incredible amounts as well. Poppy will have her day!
I like baking but can't stand rolling out dough for cookies. I've made this type before, but now few people at home eat nuts. So I buy mine from the altar and rosary society Christmas cookie sale.

mil said...

I think I will try making your Wedding Cookies--my new cookie for this year is Sand Tarts, beloved of a friend of mine. I used the Joy of Cooking recipe, which called for rolling the cookies (well-chilled) very thin and baking for 8 minutes@ 400F. Apparently there was a misprint or I rolled too thin, as the first batch came out very over baked. The rest, baked for 5 minutes, were fine. These are for people who like thin, crisp cookies. These are good but a major commitment of time.

Gemma's person said...

I use pecans, love of pecans, ground very fine. After putting the ball of dough on cookie sheet, take a fork and shmoosh them down. Fancier and hold more powered sugar. Love 'em.
Called, in older cookbooks, Mexican Wedding Cakes.Very good cookies.

Mei said...

I am always in search of new cookie recipes. I have spent several days baking cookies and treats for the ship. So has the ship's galley and my offering pales in comparison but I do wish the crew to know someone thinks of them.

It seems another batch of cookies is to be made.

mbmom11 said...

I've also found them as Russian tea cakes and Swedish snowballs.

Anonymous said...

I will second mbmom11's comment about Russian tea cakes. I don't know if the recipe is exactly the same as your recipe for Mexican wedding cookies but have not found the recipe I use for Russian tea cakes from the Betty Crocker cookbook to be as finicky as you describe. I agree that only walnuts will work although have been tempted to try the recipe with pecans. Pecans seem like they might be as oily as walnuts. I am required to make these every Christmas to give to the neighbors. If I don't, I think they will stop talking to me.
Pam in Maine