Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Built Different

I freely admit that my attitude towards food and its preparation is not what most would consider normal. Mostly because I will do so much more work in the kitchen than most.

This is why when A. asked me to provide all the food the rest of the family would need for the three days they would be traveling, I said okay. He wasn't sure if they would be camping or if the wind would force them into a motel, so anything I packed for them had to be able to be heated in either a campfire or a microwave in a motel room.

My original plan had been to go to the grocery store in conjunction with a track meet, so I could buy some snacks and lunch meat and so on.

However, I didn't go to the track meet. So I didn't go to the grocery store. So I had to get a little bit creative.

I spent three hours in the kitchen Thursday morning, cooking, prepping, and packing. 

Here's what I came up with:

--A foil packet of potatoes and sausage (this could be heated on paper plates in a microwave if needed)

--A foil packet of pork, beans, and grated cheese for burrito filling (ditto)

--Two disposable foil pans of bacon and scrambled eggs

--Tuna salad made with three big cans of tuna

--Two loaves of sliced bread

--Corn and flour tortillas

--A gallon bag of carrot sticks, celery sticks, and mini bell peppers

--Peanut butter and jelly

--Homemade crackers

--Big bag of sliced cheese

--Pistachios in the shell

--Peanuts in the shell

--Marshmallows

--Chocolate bunnies from Easter (we ended up with double what we needed, for reasons, so I sent these along for s'mores)

--Jellybeans

--Raisins

--Dried mango

--One quart jar of rice pudding

--Two pint jars of (accidentally) runny chocolate pudding with cream

It seemed like a lot of food.


It looks like a lot of food, too.

Almost all of it was eaten, though, which is why I always pack more food than seems reasonable.

I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to travel and eat at restaurants instead of out of coolers, but that's not how I operate. Clearly.

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

That's a lot of food, but you have growing boys, so I thought you might need more! Did they supplement at all with stops at restaurant/gas stations/random lemonade stands?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: They stopped at a diner on the way home for breakfast on Sunday, and they were camping with my A.'s brother and his family, so they shared food, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would have to say you rock in the food prep realm. Everything looks so good, too.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Your family thanks you for that. All the great memories provided by these meals and full bellys, happy campers.