Sunday, April 14, 2024

Snapshots: A Solo Weekend

First, lookit all the pretty flowers!


Showy tulips, mostly.


And the little peach tree in a corner of the garden has lots of blossoms on it. It remains to be seen if they will ever result in peaches, but we have hope.

Second, the big news this weekend is that A. took all the kids to Arizona to meet up with his family in the Chiricahua Mountains. I stayed here to take care of the animals.

That meant I was by myself for three days.

So what, you may ask, did I do with myself?

I went for a run every morning.

I planted some more things in the garden (onions! yay!) and watered the plants that are in the garden every day.

I went to church on Friday to rearrange the Easter flowers.


Those daisies might actually make it to Pentecost Sunday, which is the last day of the Easter season.

I watched a couple of movies, including the Barbie movie that came out last year that was so popular.*

I had popcorn and a cocktail for dinner one night.


Brandy+lemon juice+maple syrup+water=thumbs up.

I did useful things like clean out the cabinet that houses my baking supplies.


Such an awkward shape and depth.

I even read a book I found that someone had left at the post office. The whole book, because I had so much time to read. It's a contemporary Christian romance novel--the title is "Love and the Silver Lining," ahem--that I would never have bought, but it wasn't bad. It wasn't great, either, but it was better than the Barbie movie, anyway.

It was a very relaxing few days, but my family will be home today, and I'm happy about that.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

* I am sorry if you liked it and this offends you, but I found it so incredibly stupid, I almost couldn't watch the whole thing. The only reason I did is because I actually paid to rent it. Boo.

 

8 comments:

Tu mere said...

What a treat for you. Having animals to take care of definitely has its benefits. The Chiricahua Mountains are beautiful this time of year. Great time for an Arizona trip, as it’s a blooming desert wonderland right now. I as well have three days home alone and am enjoying the change, at least for short term. Isn’t it great to just get up and plan your whole day just as you want/need!

samcarter said...

Yay, what a lovely weekend!

Out of sheer curiosity we watched the trailer for the Barbie movie and stopped it halfway through. I concluded I would rather eat sandpaper than watch the movie itself.

Jenlee said...

Totally agree with you about Barbie. I watched it because it was a blockbuster and it was free. Wasn't worth the time or money. I still don't get. I think, at 55, I would've enjoyed an animated version of an actual Barbie doll more than this.

mbmom11 said...

I sort of liked the Barbie movie - there were a few parts which were good , but over all lot more shallow than I expected. And I really hated how the Kens were portrayed. And it was a good 45 min too long.
I hope the peach tree comes through with fruit for you this year. We have an apple tree that finally has blossoms on it this year - if they can survive spring weather and the Japanese beetle invasion we get in the end of May, we might get some apples!

Mable said...

FINALLY! I thought I was the only one on the entire planet who hated that movie and could not finish more than 20 minutes of it. I was SOOOO glad I did not spend $20 going to the theater to see it. As a feminist, I found it demeaning and trite. I, too, eat popcorn for dinner (but with hot chocolate) when I am left to my own devices.

Jody said...

1) I have been thinking about your weekend and wondering what I would do were I in your place. It's a possibility this fall that I might go to a conference-type thing with my husband and without the children. While I could go to the lectures, I am hoping, instead, to do nothing. Or whatever I want to do in a strange town. Maybe just chill in the hotel room and read? To me, the possibilities are endless.

2)I am so glad that you and commenters have given me your Barbie opinion. I have sometimes wondered if I would like it since I played my childhood away with Barbie. Now I will not waste my time. Instead, I will listen to my girls play with Barbies. And Ken. And Fred and Joseph. And Headless John. And the unnamed and naked Ken doll (naked because there aren't enough Ken clothes to go around and they(I?) haven't made any yet).

ladybug said...

I completely agree with you. The movie was beyond stupid! Glad you got to enjoy your days of solitude. I am now living by myself and I long for times when the family actually come home!

Gemma's person said...

Happy Birthday to you......like your birthday celeb...only longer. :)