Friday, April 12, 2024

Friday Food: The One With the Lasagna

Friday 

Short version: Not-Lent scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: One kid asked as he was eating, "Where's the meat?" I said the eggs are the meat. And he said, "Oh yeah. It's Friday."

Except it wasn't actually a Friday in Lent, so we were not eating eggs for that reason. We were eating them because they are easy; I have a lot of eggs on hand right now; and the one child who doesn't much care for scrambled eggs wasn't home.

Good reasons.

I did go to all the effort of microwaving some potatoes to dice and fry, which is always a good idea. Plus, I put both grated cheddar cheese and fresh parsley in the eggs. All in all, a nice dinner, even if it was meatless.


Pretty, too. Well, prettier than most of my food, anyway.

Saturday

Short version: Lamb chops, cheesy potatoes, raw broccoli

Long version: I took out one bag of lamb chops and it was . . . a lot of lamb chops.


Enough that I needed two skillets to cook them.

We had several left over, but only because one of the children who normally eats multiples was very tired and not very hungry.

Cheesy potatoes were a staple of my childhood, but they are not something I make much now. The only reason I made them this time was because I had a LOT of bechamel sauce left from making the lasagna, so all I needed to do to make the potatoes was add shredded cheddar to some of the bechamel, then microwave (again!) potatoes and slice them to mix with the sauce. And bake it, of course. 

Sunday

Short verson: Insane lasagna, garlic bread, green salad with vinaigrette, Italian cheesecake

Long version: I've already told you about the lasagna. 


Pasta in process.

I had a sort-of pizza crust left over from pizza night the week before, when I had too much dough for the smaller pizza I made in a skillet. So I took some dough and put it in another skillet and baked that partway. I stuck that in the freezer, figuring I would find a use for it later. I did, this night, by smearing the top of it with garlic butter (soft butter mixed with finely diced green garlic) and baking it until crispy. Because there weren't enough carbohydrates in the lasagna, you see.

And then, as if this wasn't a heavy-enough meal, I finished it off with cheesecake.

I had originally intended to use my frozen ricotta cheese in the lasagna. But when I made the more-traditional Italian version of lasagna that does not use ricotta, I still had that ricotta to use. So of course, I combined it with a ton more dairy, plus sugar, to make cheesecake.

I loosely used this recipe, except (always the recipe excepts for me) I made a 3/4 recipe--which already almost completely filled my 9-inch springform pan, so the entire recipe would definitely have been too much--and I didn't use as much cream cheese as called for. I just weighed all the creamy things, starting with the ricotta, adding one block of cream cheese, and then adding sour cream until I had the correct weight for the three. Or close enough, anyway.

I also did not mix it for twenty minutes. I thought surely that was a typo in the recipe and it was meant to be mixed for two minutes. But no, careful reading assured me the recipe really intended me to stand there for twenty minutes with a handheld mixer.

No. 

Two minutes was fine.

The hardest part with these kinds of recipes is remembering to get the thing out of the oven and into the refrigerator after it's sat in the cooling oven for two hours. I forgot about it until I was going to bed, so it sat in there for more like three hours, but at least I didn't forget and leave it in there overnight. That would have been sad.

One child couldn't get over the slightly grainier texture, but everyone else loved it. Some liked it even better than a very heavy New-York-style cheesecake.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, sausage, bread and butter, raw produce

Long version: The kids had lasagna at school for lunch. The coincidence of that being the day after I had made my first ever lasagna was pretty funny. It also meant that I didn't serve any of my leftover lasagna for dinner.

Instead I cooked one package of boudin and one of plain smoked sausage. There were some lamb chops left, so that made enough meat to apportion for everyone. Some people had the leftover cheesy potatoes; everyone else had bread and butter for their starch.

Everyone had either raw bell pepper or cucumbers with salt and vinegar for their vegetable. Such as it was.

Tuesday

Short version: Lamb, lamb-y rice, onions, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I used one of the boned-out ram leg roasts for this. I cut it in half so it would fit in the pan, browned it, then sliced it and put it back in the pan to cook some more, along with onions, garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar.

The rice was lamb-y because I cooked it in the lamb stock I had made with the Easter leg bone. I did cut it with an equal amount of water, though, so the lamb flavor wouldn't overpower the rice. That worked well.

Wednesday

Short version: Meatless fried rice, leftover lasagna

Long version: I had thought there would be some lamb left over. There was not.

After-work (and First Communion class) Plan B!

I used the leftover rice, plus the leftover onions, to make fried rice with just eggs and frozen peas. All those who wanted it had a small amount of the last of the leftover lasagna, and then filled in with the fried rice.

Thursday

Short version: Chicken soup, biscuits, chocolate pudding

Long version: This was chicken soup from just before Easter that I stuck in the freezer when we had way too many leftovers on hand. It had potatoes in it, which broke down in the freezer, but that just thickened it. I put in a bit more rice to cook as it was heating up, and I also added the last of the fat I had skimmed off the lasagna's bolognese sauce, which added some nice flavor.

Standard baking powder biscuits. And remember, there is no rule that says they have to be round.


Or even all the same shape. Chaos abounds.

I had a whole gallon of milk that tasted slightly off as soon as I opened it in the morning, despite the use-by date being at least a week in the future. Boo. I made a double batch of this pudding, which used about half the gallon.

Refrigerator check!


Nice block of asadero there.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


7 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- pasta, garlic bread, broccoli, and Italian sausage.
Sat- homemade pizza with pepperoni or leftover sausage. I had toast.
Sun- tacos, and someone had a Begala. I had ramen.
Mon- sunny warm day- I grilled the chicken outside, rice, broccoli, peas. One kid had ramen instead of rice. And I was full from lunch so I had cereal later.
Tues- first track meet, so I left tuna salad for husband, teen made hot dogs, chips, and apple slices for the ones at home. Track boy had a mountain of scrambled eggs when we got back. I had ramen with the last of the chicken.
Wed- track not too far away. Tuna salad part deux for husband, and I got home in time to make grilled cheese for some. One kid had tortillas chips salsa and cheese before I got home, and made some toast. I applauded his independence.
Thurs- husband out for work and I was very tired, so Domino's with a gift card. Extras for the freezer.
I did bake a lot this week, and yesterday gave in to exhaustion and bought cookies and ice cream. Teenage boys can go through a box of ice cream in 2 days, so it's always a winner.
Enjoy the spring!

Tu mere said...

Can’t believe I don’t see any milk in the refrigerator. Guess the almost spoiled one was the last. Definitely looks like a store run is needed. From the menus, seems like there’s more lamb than beef in the freezer. If so, wonder how that’s possible with all the hunting meat.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mere: The gallon that's currently open lives on the door, so you can't see it in the photo, but there is one. Also, the elk is long gone, the beef is gone, and yes, we're pretty much down to lamb and store meat until we get another steer or cull cow in the fall.

Kit said...

Friday-meatballs, noodles, peas, 7 layer bars
Saturday-ham sandwiches, potato chips, and coleslaw
Sunday-green bean soup, cheesy biscuits
Monday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, broccoli
Tuesday-rice, tomato, cheese sort of casserole
Wednesday-ham and eggs, toast (last of the ham)
Thursday-chicken patties, baked potatoes, salad

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: We don't buy red meat at the store, since we do supply all of that ourselves. Mostly it's pork--big butt roasts, sometimes ribs--sausage, and ocassionally a whole chicken. We just buy the cheapest kind, because I'm not honestly convinced it makes a lot of difference for the animal if I get organic or whatever.

Jenlee said...

Eggs, let me tell you. Dh was in the hospital for a month - kidney stones, infection, pneumonia, surgery, edema, heart failure, etc... He is good now, but he was released on February 10 and for the first 34 days, he ate 3 eggs for breakfast and dinner and 3 egg whites for lunch. Every day. Since then, we can go out occasionally and he will eat something else, but only 3 - 4 meals a week. Otherwise, its 9 eggs (minus 3 yolks) a day. It's a cheap protein, so I'm not complaining. About the price anyway. ;)

Daisy said...

I like your lamb-y rice concept. We often use broth for cooking rice, full strength or cut with water.