Note: I have been informed that comments aren't working today. I couldn't even post a comment myself. Unfortunately, I don't know why this is happening or how to fix it, so I guess we should all just cross our fingers that Blogger fixes it. I'm sorry!
Friday
Short version: Fish sandwiches, fried potatoes, carrot sticks
Long version: I had some trouble with this meal only because I didn't want to run the oven for the amount of time it would have taken to get the breaded fish fillets and potatoes crispy. I experimented with par-cooking the potatoes in the microwave first, to reduce the amount of time they would need to be in the oven, but it didn't make enough difference to be worth it.
In the end, I took the potatoes out of the oven and fried them on the stove to get them mostly crispy. They weren't as uniformly browned as they would have been in the oven, but good enough.
I fried the fish fillets on the stovetop, and while they did get browned on the outside and thawed, they weren't as crispy as they could have been. They were fine for the sandwiches, though.
I made tartar sauce for the sandwiches, too, which makes everyone in my family happy.
Saturday
Short version: Confetti rice, watermelon
Long version: I thawed one package of smoked beef sausage and made rice with the chicken stock I had taken out of the freezer. Those two things, plus diced onion, garlic, bell pepper, frozen corn (I was going to use peas, but I found the corn first), collard greens, one of the many small cans of cream of chicken soup we got from commodities, and cream made up dinner.
One boy came into the kitchen just before dinner and looked into the skillet and asked what I called what was in there.
Mom's Made-Up Meal? Nah, not catchy enough. Confetti rice sounded better.
This was okay, but needed more flavor.
Sunday
Short version: Hamburger gravy, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, lazy fondue
Long version: Hamburger gravy is pretty much just like the hamburger steaks I make with gravy, except I just cooked the meat loose and then made the gravy in the pan with it. The children told me they like the hamburger steaks better, but that the hamburger gravy is okay too.
Lazy fondue is what I make for Sunday dessert when I really don't want to make a dessert. I had looked at some no-bake things, and man, those are more work than just baking something. Too many layers and beating things and chilling and on and on and on.
Much easier to just microwave some chocolate chips with coconut oil until melted for dipping marshmallows.
Monday
Short version: Sirloin steaks, leftover confetti rice, green salad with tartar sauce dressing, peanut butter cookies
Long version: I re-heated the rice in the skillet after I had fried the steaks, which gave it some more flavor.
Tartar sauce works well as a salad dressing. At least, homemade tartar sauce does.
I forgot when I was making the peanut butter cookies in the morning that this is one of the few cookie recipes I don't double, and I put in double the number of eggs needed. Then I needed to add more of everything else, so I ended up with a LOT of cookies. No one minded.
Tuesday
Short version: Accidental hamburger helper, green peas, canned peaches
Long version: I started feeling a cold coming on the night before that was fully operational by this afternoon. Luckily, I had quite a bit of hamburger gravy left. I cooked some pasta and then made a sauce with another of those small cans of cream of chicken soup, heavy cream, milk, tomato sauce, and grated cheddar cheese, into which I added the meat to heat up. Then I dumped all of that over the cooked pasta.
And that is how I accidentally made something almost exactly like hamburger helper.
So as not to infringe on copywrite, perhaps I should call it Assisted Ground Beef.
Wednesday
Short version: Heart stir-fry with rice, brownies
Long version: I was staring into the chest freezer on Tuesday night, trying to decide what meat to take out for dinner this night, when Poppy wandered over and suggested I use the package of cow heart.
Okay. At least someone made the decision for me.
I regretted this the next day, when I still wasn't feeling well from the cold I had, and was staring down a thawed heart.
However.
I was in the kitchen anyway, cooking for a teacher at our school who just got home after a two-week hospital stay with her son, so I went ahead and more or less made our dinner while I was making pasta and brownies for them.
First I had to trim the heart. It has a kind of membrane around the outside that needs to be removed.
Thursday
Short version: Spanish tortilla
Long version: It's funny that I've been going through a period of having so many excess eggs on hand. Usually that happens in the spring, but here I am in September with eight dozen eggs in my refrigerator. I used 18 in the Spanish tortilla, which just had bacon, onion, spices, cheese, and some of the tomato sauce from the open can in the refrigerator. Besides the potatoes that are always in it, of course.
I made this in the morning so it would be ready when everyone got home from school. I went to the volleyball game after school with Poppy, which is why I needed something for everyone else to just grab when they got home.
Refrigerator check:
Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?




1 comment:
copyright
Post a Comment