Monday, September 14, 2009

Against Doctor's Orders

Despite the excellent advice of several of you, I have not been staying in bed, drinking tea delivered to me by the MiL and reading mysteries. For several reasons. For one thing, the MiL sprained her ankle so badly last week that she's still limping around with a cane, which would make carrying a hot beverage a hazardous undertaking. For a second thing, I just finished a collection of Hercule Poirot mysteries (that's Agatha Christie, by the way) just before I got sick and I don't have any other mysteries on hand. And for a third thing, my parents have been here for a brief visit.

Since they were only here for two days, I figured it would be pretty lame of me to insist on staying in bed for the short time they were here. Sitting around and watching me blow my nose wouldn't have been much of a vacation for them. So I cowgirled up, stuffed my pockets with tissues, and hit the road with them. We didn't go far--just to a city to see a couple of museums on Saturday. Yesterday my dad the not-so-amateur carpenter and A. spent most of the day cutting up pieces of wood into blanks for bowl turning, which is my dad's new thing. I'm pretty sure my dad would come visit our trees even if we weren't here--we know where his affection really lies.

My mom spent the day helping me harvest things (grapes, green beans, tomatoes, carrots, chard) and watching me cook (curry). The MiL made one of her spectacular chocolate cakes, and a good time was had by all. This morning A. and I go to breakfast with my parents before they get on the road again, and maybe THEN I'll take to my bed with my tea. After I process some more tomatoes. And maybe pickle those jalapenos. And finish my laundry.

Yeah, who am I kidding? By the time I make it to bed-rest, the cold will already be gone.

7 comments:

Tara_LB said...

Well if you insist on running about like that, at least drink one of these before bed/whenever you feel like it.

Cut a 0.5in piece of ginger, peel it and chop it into bits. Put in large coffee mug. Add the juice of half a lemon, a generous teaspoon of honey and as much brandy/whiskey as u like. Pour boiling water of the whole lot. You can sniff this while you sip it. It'll help with the nose and it'll help you sleep/Viata C boost/Smells yummy!

Feel better!!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

TLB: That sounds delicious. However . . . I don't know what it's like in South Africa (a country, by the way, that I have had a mild obsession with ever since reading "The Power of One" in high school) but most people in the U.S. are WAY UPTIGHT about drinking ANY alcohol when pregnant (sometimes needlessly so, in my own opinion). I could just imagine my midwife's face if I told her I was drinking a mug of hot brandy every night before bed. "But it's for medicinal purposes only, I swear!"

Leslie said...

Tell your parents that I said hello. Hurry up and get better!

Anonymous said...

I love going places where people have been spreading their cold germs. :) I know, you just want to share, hee hee. Bowl blanks...at least some of your trees that went down will be put to creative use. Guess we know what Kristin is getting for Christmas...a bowl for her fruit. Sounds like your dad is keeping very busy. Let us know how that is going along the way if you can , thanks. Hope the MiL's ankle gets better quick.

jean said...

Ohh, the recipe TLB gave you is looking pretty good. I'm sure that one or two of them would help me, I mean you, feel better. And yes, I know they say don't drink when you're pregnant but a tiny bit now and then shouldn't matter. (don't send the ob/gyn community after me)

Pat said...

If I may steal a line from the Little Mermaid, "Somebody's gotta nail dat girl's fins to da floor!"

Get some rest....you work much to hard!

DavidShag said...

Even if the cold's gone, go to bed. The Universe owes you a sick day. This is my first time here (at thy blog, I mean) but I grew up an upstate farm boy - no place finer than rural NY, and I've been around! As to the drinking while pregnant - as far as I know none of the mothers of the kids who did best in our high school drank at all. Mine didn't (Dad got to it all first). Anecdotal evidence, but I am just saying.