Friday, September 18, 2009

A Little Perspective

The other night when A. was on his way home from night court in a small, podunk court in our county, he stopped to pick up a hitchhiker. They got to talking, as is often the case with a hitchhiker and a driver. This hitchhiker told A. he was on his way home from work. He works construction in the nearest city. He apparently has no car, and rural areas don't have buses, so he's been walking and hitching back and forth to work every single day. You ready for the shocking part of this?

The city he works in is 20 MILES from this guy's trailer. ONE WAY.

No, really. This guy in all seriousness gets up at 1 a.m. to start walking to work, in order to be there by 6 a.m. And then, if he can't hitch a ride home in the afternoon, he walks the 20 miles back to the trailer park he lives in, after working a construction job all day. He's trying to save money to get a place in the city he actually works in, but until then, this is what he does. He was not an educated man--A. was of the opinion he was probably mostly illiterate--and he was not a smart man. It's not as if there's a plethora of employment opportunities for him in this area. But he got a job, and he needs to keep that job, so he walks 40 miles--40 MILES--roundtrip every day.

This made me a little sad, because goddamn, this guy is trying SO HARD. And it made me ashamed for anything I might think is even worth complaining about in my life. Really, no matter how much I might think something sucks for me, it is NOTHING compared to that man's circumstances.

A little perspective is a sobering thing.

12 comments:

sheila said...

And Reagan talked about welfare cheats and all I see is people struggling to just get by. Many work multiple jobs for a total of 7 days a week for years on end. Sad that politicians have their head so far up their a@@. Can't even get minimum health care for the people over the last say 60 years. I guess they have theirs so screw all the people that can't make it. Good luck to this guy, hope he can afford to more closer to his work soon.

Susan said...

Wow. That really does put a lot in perspective. Like Sheila said, there are so many who struggle hard to get by. THey're willing to work their butts off but can't get health care...hopefully that's going to change soon. I'll be thinking of that guy today...

Pat said...

When does this guy sleep? Wow, sure makes you appreciate what you've got, doesn't it? It would probably help even if the guy got a bicycle.

Anonymous said...

or moped......maybe he could find a cheap moped , bless him. Those who work so hard. Makes me really sad to see those who try so hard to cheat the system and live on welfare when they are able bodied.

Chiot's Run said...

perhaps he could find a bicycle. I have to admire someone like that though that isn't just sitting around collecting welfare and not doing anything. He's working and earning a living however he can.

Sadly this is the plight of the majority of people around the world. We don't see it much in this country, but it's prevalent most everywhere else.

sweetbird said...

I would totally buy that guy a bicycle. I'm not kidding. If you guys had his info I would ship one off tonight.

I've frequently had conversations like this with a friend who was in the Peace Corps. We are rich just for the fact that we have potable water - in our houses!

Seriously. I'll buy that guy a bike.

Meadowlark said...

It's people like that who break my heart.

Sadly, my neck of the woods is populated with people who wouldn't walk 100 yards to keep a job. Unemployment, welfare and couch surfing is apparently easier.

I'll pitch in for a bike. In fact, I'll put it in the mail TODAY with your BOOK. (thought I forgot, didn't you!!!)

me again said...

We are all on the same wavelength, I think.....what immediately popped into my head was, I'd buy that guy a bike in a heartbeat. The man may not be booksmart or educated, but there's a lot of integrity in a man who puts out such effort to keep his job and thereby keep his dignity.

http://bluehouseonthehill.blogspot.com/ said...

I think this is just awesome, really I do. When so many able bodied folks out there are looking for a way to get a handout and let someone else take care of them, you meet a guy who decides that he'll do whatever he must in order to work. Awesome testimony of his character!

BTW Kay sent me here, via her Zombie chicken award to you. I'm on the list too, bluehouseonthehill blog.

jean said...

At first I was upset to hear that A picked up a hitchhiker, then I was upset to hear why the poor man was hitching. So sad. Give A a hug for me. He did the right thing.

Daisy said...

Now this is a man with a strong work ethic.

Mayberry Magpie said...

At the risk of showing my stripes . . . the right LOVES to talk about how Americans won't work construction or manual labor jobs.

Maybe there are some cheats out there, but there are also a lot of folks struggling. (Read "Nickle and Dimed" for another perspective changer.)

Maybe we should all chip in and buy the bike? That would be cool!