Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lullabies by Johnny

Last week, Cubby decided he was not going to be having this business of being put in his bassinet for naps during the day. He'd be almost asleep, so drowsy his head was floppy and his eyes just barely slit open, and then I'd put him in his bassinet to sleep and the screeching would commence within minutes. Irritating.

One day I had just put Cubby down and begun the dishes when the screeching began. Reluctant to abandon my hot water to cool down while I tried to get him back to sleep, I instead brought him into the kitchen with me and put him in his car seat, which was fortuitously sitting on the dog couch. My reasoning was that he always slept really well in the car. And since the radio is usually on in the car, I figured it wouldn't hurt to turn on the radio. There's a small radio/CD player in the kitchen. The CD that happened to be in there was Johnny Cash (this one, as a matter of fact). And as soon as "I Walk the Line" started, Cubby was out.

It works almost every time. I put the CD on, and he sleeps right from "I Walk the Line" through 27 songs (including his theme song) to "Ghost Riders in the Sky." I haven't tested this technique with any other music; for all I know, he would sleep through polka music, too. But I think Johnny Cash's deep voice can't hurt. Though I might discontinue use of this CD by the time he's old enough to understand the wealth of lyrics about prison, drinking, and murder.

But for now? Keep on singin' about those Folsom prison blues, Johnny. Cubby can't get enough. And neither can I.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then there is the continuous loop play on the CD player. :) JOY JOY


word verification 'santilic'

christmas cookie plate

sweetbird said...

That is outstanding. I used to listen to Johnny Cash with my mom when I was a kid. About 7 or 8 years ago I really stopped and listened to the lyrics - wow.

Alyssa said...

Nice! We used "Big Rock Candy Mountain" as a lullaby for the longest time. Changed a few of the worst references (whiskey became mama's milk and cigarettes became cinnamon) but you can't edit it all.

Let's hope that someday Cubby will think that you were very cool for putting him to bed with Johnny Cash...

Phoo-D said...

That is pretty cute. I can imagine him snoozing right along to Cash. Glad you found a solution to the nap-time screaming!

Alicia said...

I'm stuck in my ol' carseat / and time keeps draggin' on... / but that stereo keeps a' rollin / til Mom has to answer the phone...

Cubby lyric WIN.

FinnyKnits said...

Yeah, you don't want him getting ideas about "shooting his woman down" since, at this point, *YOU* are his woman.

Though, I find the whole scenario enjoyable. Perhaps because I grew up listening to Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin in my parents' house.

"No, no hunnie, her voice sounds like that because she has a sore throat."

Mia said...

The boy's got good taste for tunes :)

Sara said...

Awesome. Perhaps you should balance it out with some Bedtime with The Beatles; it's a great lullaby CD!

rls said...

When my brother would babysit for us when my daughter was just a baby, he would sing her to sleep to The Police's "Roxanne."