Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Food-Milled 22 Pounds of Tomatoes Last Night

And BOY, are my arms tired!

BA DUM BUM!

That's what passes for a funny joke to me at 9 p.m. when I've been up to my elbows in tomatoes for two hours. And what makes it funny (in my own crazy, tomato-addled brain, anyway) is that my arms actually were tired. That's what happens when you spin a Foley food mill* for half an hour to squish all the juice out of 22 pounds of tomatoes. It's a damn good workout. A workout that results in not only firm, toned arms, but in 15 pints of tomato juice. Also a workout that results in the annihilation of a shitload of Baby Cakes tomatoes. Triple win!

I've never actually had a Bloody Mary before, but I see many in my future . . .

* While searching for an image of a Foley food mill to link to, for those of you who might not be familiar with this particular kitchen gadget, I found this entirely awesome brochure: "75 Ways to Use the Foley Food Mill." The phrase "jiffy quick time" appears in it. Also, did you know you can make liver pate by squishing chicken livers in a Foley food mill? And did you know that would most likely make me vomit? Yes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Win/win, juice and muscles. Good goin' ! Maybe you could get A to hook it up to a motor ? Beth

moi said...

Also like that you can remove "irritating fiber" from fruits and veg with the Foley.....or not.... :)

Daisy said...

I told my mother that (hint, hint) I'd like a food mill for Christmas or birthday. I might send her this link.

FinnyKnits said...

You may remember my run-in with my Kitchenaid mounted food mill - MESS-Y.

But, it makes a fine juice.

And, now that you have all that juice, perhaps you want to stock up on clam juice, celery and vodka for all your future Marys. I know you have limes already - what with the G&Ts. ;)

ColleenQ said...

Lately, I've been getting a good upper body workout from shredding pepper jack cheese then melting it on cool ranch Doritos...and boy, are MY arms tired. ;)

rls said...

Damn, girl - all those Alcohol Fridays (it's been so long - is that what the posts were called?) and you've never had a Bloody Mary?! You should rectify that situation. Those are some kinda yummy.