Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's a Girl!

Ladies and gentleman, I am pleased to inform you that Chickie is definitely of the female persuasion. Yay more eggs! And yay not having to behead the only chick to be born this year!

A horrible photo of Chickie (the bright white one closest to the camera), because the only time I can get close enough to get a good picture is when they're on their nighttime roost. But at least I GOT one, after meaning to take one for weeks.

Chickie has also been given a new name. By me, because I'm selfish with the naming thing. Her new name is Opie. Short for Opium. Because she's Poppy's chick. Geddit? Poppy? Opium?

I know. My wit astounds even me.

We still mostly call her Chickie, though. I don't care what she's called, however, as long as she starts laying some eggs for me next year.

Got that, Opie? Get to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Hey, she should start laying this year. Beth
How many eggs are you getting now?
Since you let them out , do you think they may be laying somewhere else? Do the dogs have access to the laying nest ? How many hens now? I only want you to have the maximum eggs you can. We had hens for years and we always got as many eggs as hens, unless they were molting.

word verification 'comicka'
how you call the dogs after they have been in something dead.
OR a russian stand up funny girl
depends on how you pronounce it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

We get eggs from each of our hens, but we only had two before this chick, so I never had enough. One more egg a day will be just about right.

Anonymous said...

Well, congrats then on the "new" hen. :)

rls said...

Sorry, but "Opie" makes me think of young Ronnie Howard.

Daisy said...

Opie. Snicker. Getting high on fresh eggs!