Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Showers

I used to be a morning shower person. As most people are, I think, because you have to make yourself presentable before another challenging and rewarding day sitting at a desk. But I no longer sit at a desk all day, and this means that my shower routines have changed. They have become, like so much else in my life, seasonal.

In the winter, I still try to shower in the morning so that there's no chance of my hair being wet when I go to the unheated bedroom to sleep. Wouldn't want my hair to freeze to the wall, would I?

How I wish that were a joke.

But in the summer . . . well, in the summer I just shower when all my work is done. Since all my work--housework, outside labor, and Cubby-wrangling--is guaranteed to make me sweat when it's hot and humid*, there's really no point in trying to clean up until I'm done for the day. I used to do all my work in the morning, and then I'd shower around lunchtime. But now, as I have mentioned before, I have to do a lot of my outside work when Cubby is asleep. So I don't shower until right before bed.

This means that I spend the day in a continual descent into grossness, but OH the sweet relief of a shower after a long, hot, sticky day. It's a nice way to end the day, getting clean and cool (well, cooler) for bed.

So what about you poppets: Morning or night bather?

* As it has been all summer long and is right now--90 degrees in the bedroom when I went to bed last night, according to the handy thermometer. Cozy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evening, always....I sleep better clean. Also, you wake up clean and ready for the day . Much less sheet washing also this way.
Am always dirty from a long day of working outside or inside. Beth

word verification 'aines'

baby for more than one train

Anke said...

Definitely morning... even though as hot as it is I'm tempted to jump into the shower at night as well.

Seren Dippity said...

I can't wake up without a shower. I don't do coffee. This poses problems in the summer when gardening makes me hot and sweaty. Most days after sweat work, I do laps in the pool to cool down and with a hose rinse to get the chlorine out of my hair, that is usually good enough.
When I lived in Houston, the humidity was so bad that I never felt clean. Going from house to car was enough to break out in a sweat. In the summer, multiple showers a day was not unheard of.

Sara said...

I shower in the morning and at night. My day is not complete without at least two showers. That's right, there have been times when I've showered three times in a 24-hour period. I may have a problem. But at least I'm clean!

Anonymous said...

In this heat multiple daily showers, some of them cold, are necessary.

Anonymous said...

Shower in the morning when I go off to teach; shower in the afternoon after I spend a day working at home on the computer; shower twice a day when I am traveling (cannot explain that last one). Mary in MN

Mia said...

Both.. if it's really hot and humid, need a cool shower before bed.

But then again, sometimes it's okay to skip a day cuz God made dirt and dirt don't hurt (as long as it's not stinky *grin*)

If it's in the morning before work, I need a power massage showerhead and a whole lot of good smellin' lotion.

:)

X said...

Morning, always. It's funny, though, cuz Jake is a shower addict. He's been known to do three in a day. And, if it's a two-a-day he acts like I'm gross for only showering once. ??

Mayberry Magpie said...

Morning because, you know, I sit at a desk all day. That and I'd never truly wake up without a shower. I'm sometimes half asleep when I run, but as soon as I shower . . . AWAKE.