Friday, June 3, 2011

Operation Potato: Complete

That's right. The potatoes are in. Let us all take a moment for thanksgiving.

Now that we've had that moment, let's take another to appreciate the size of the potato field. That I dug up all by hand.

BOW DOWN TO ME AND MY SHOVEL.

So that's nine full rows of 15 plants each, plus a couple that I stuck in near the beets, plus a small patch of nine Lehighs behind the blackberries. Which is 146 plants. There are also twenty or so of a very early variety elsewhere in the garden that the MiL planted some time ago.

I hope 160 plants is enough. It will probably be just enough when we start eating them, but WOAH WAY TOO MANY when it comes time for hilling.

Oh hilling. How I hate you.

But let's not think about that now! Instead let's admire the cabbage and broccoli plants, which all received a nice healthy mulching with sheep-shit straw this past weekend.

Sauerkraut ahoy!

I picked up some bell pepper plants from Andy the Plant Guy yesterday, but will wait a couple of days to put those in the ground* because we're supposed to get into the forties at night for a couple of nights. And yet, it was 92 degrees on Tuesday. What the hell, Mama N.?

Then this weekend, there will be corn and squash and cucumbers and melons and maybe the MiL will plant the leek plugs she's picking up from her cousin tonight.

Lots to do still, but the potatoes are in, so everything is now right with the world.

Happy Friday, duckies.

* Along with the hot peppers that I still have to buy seedlings for because the FFA kids didn't start any hot peppers. What's up with that, FFA kids? Don't you like salsa?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which reminds me I must get out there and plant my sunflowers.

Anonymous said...

Bowing deeply here... :)
I bet you could beat A. at arm wrestling right now after all that arm work and Cubby should feel lighter.
The garden looks fantabulous. Yummy on the way. Beth

word verification - ineri

ornery inside only

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

I celebrate with you! Job well done and all of those potatoes will be delicious!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I got nothin' but respect, over here.
Digging any garden bed out of a forest (or giant lawn, or prairie, or whatever) that is constantly trying to take it back is no small feat.
Well played.

I hate hilling to. What about the no dig straw technique. Ever tried it?

Daisy said...

I'm feeling pleased because I harvested spinach today! It's in the crock pot with chicken and a few other goodies.

tu mere said...

Congratulations. I am totally wowed! My back hurts just looking at the picture.

Alicia said...

Our FFA kids down here only raise animals...I didn't know FFA elsewhere raised food!

Anonymous said...

We had new potatoes for breakfast this morning.
The ground doesn't have to be warm to plant them in....I know it rained a lot this year and the ground just dried out...but you might want to think next year about working the ground in the fall and be ready to plant in early April or late March..snow doesn't hurt them in the ground.
They like cooler temps.

The FFA here also has a green house. It is at school and they have plants for sale in the spring. Beth