Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Crazy Brain Strikes Again

In case you are not in the habit of automatically checking down there at the bottom for the time I publish whatever drivel has spilled out of me that day, I'll just tell you that it is currently five in the morning. Five (5) A.M. On a Saturday.

BOO.

I woke up around two this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. This is not a new thing for me, as you may recall. Which doesn't make it any less annoying when it happens.

I was consumed this time by such engrossing thoughts as where will the Chioggia pumpkins go in the garden . . . and what should I wear under those awesome white pants I just bought so the pockets don't show up so much . . . and where the hell are we going to store the 100 bales of hay A. is supposed to pick up today . . . and damn I wish I had done the dishes last night because I hate waking up to piles of dirty dishes in the morning . . . and I really hope Cubby's diaper rash problem that showed up so quickly goes away just as quickly . . . andandandandand.

All essential things to be pondering at two in the morning, obviously.

I gave up on sleeping at four and got out of bed. Then I did the dishes, so at least that was one worry I can dump out of my crazy, over-active brain.

I suspect I will not be feeling very spry around, oh, four o'clock this afternoon. But at least the dishes are done. Yay?

7 comments:

sheila said...

Insomnia sucks. Been up since 2:30AM myself, and that was after going to bed a 1 AM. I'm guessing I'll be napping by 4 in the afternoon. Just in time to mess up a good nights sleep again tonight. This is a vicious cycle that starts when women have children. It's a curse I say, a curse. A least it isn't hot out so napping will be nice.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing worse than being tired and unable to drop off. have you tried self hypnosis? It sometimes works for me.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes if you make a list of all the things on your mind, it helps clear your mind for sleep.

Domestic Dilettante said...

I went to bed at 9:00 and slept solidly until 7:00, a near record for me. I suspect it is a result of 7 days straight of unpacking. Boo, unpacking. (Why oh why do I collect so much infernal stuff?!) Hooray, sleep.

Daisy said...

Have you tried cornstarch for the diaper rash? It did great things for my kids when they were babies.

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

As a fellow insomniac, I feel for you. I wake up often around 3am and an unable to go back to sleep for a couple of hours, if at all. I now keep a book nearby and force myself to read by little nightlight propped on my chest/neck area until I am drifting off to sleep. It works. Unless it's a page turner, then I am in real trouble.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Overactive night time brain syndrome.
Sigh.
What a drag.
I do valerian root. Every night. (it works better if you take it every night.)
My overactive night time brain has since been silenced.
I love nature in pill form.

hillyz - your gang name after hilling the potatoes later on this summer, yo.