Sunday, April 24, 2016

At Last

There's a thing at Cubby's school called "Thank You Thursday Notes." Every Thursday afternoon, the little kids sit down and write a thank you note to someone. It's a way to practice their writing, and also to be very cute, because there's not much cuter than a straggly, mispelled note thanking the dog for killing a squirrel.

Or at least, that's what Cubby has come up with to practice gratitude. He's written many notes to Daddy, thanking him for taking him fishing or camping or what have you. There have been even more notes to Charlie, thanking him for helping Cubby out of the stream or for playing knights with swords. A couple to Jack, thanking him for hugs. Even, as I mentioned, at least one note for Mia.

But have I ever been the recipient of a Thank You Thursday Note? I, his mother, who cares for him daily and, you know, GAVE HIM LIFE? No. Thank you notes for the dog, and not for his own mother?

Bitter? Me? Yes, yes I was.

But then, he arrived home last Thursday with this:


Did you catch that "Mama" down there? You see it? FINALLY.

Okay, so I had to share the thank you note with "Dad," but the inside part thanks us both for "bg hgs," which is apparently "big hugs." This is very adorable, so I suppose I can be gracious and share my long-overdue Thank You Thursday Note with A. Not that I have much choice. 

What do you think it would take for me to get one just for me? Maybe I should kill a squirrel. It worked for the dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Mary in MN

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Kill a squirrel and MAKE IT INTO A HAT!

tu mere said...

Bet if you weren't home all the time as both nurturer and disciplinarian you'd fare better. The one who is always there never gets the kudos deserved. Problem with the whole squirrel scenario, they'd have to see you doing it, and that's just a gross visual, at least for normal adults.