Monday, April 25, 2016

An Inauspicious Beginning

Day One of Spring Break, a.k.a., The Week of All Three Children, All the Damn Time:

Jack started babbling to himself in his crib in the room adjoining ours at 4 a.m. and continued for the next hour and a half. I didn't get him up and he did go back to sleep, but that was it for me. I was awake for the day at 4 a.m. and up at 5:30 a.m.

When I did get up, I found that the coffee maker had died. Luckily, the MiL has both a French press and a plain old filter cone thing, so I could still make my beloved coffee with chicory. It didn't taste the same, though, and I was grumpy about this.

Charlie woke up spoiling for a meltdown and eventually had one over his egg. Which ended up on the floor.

But!

The children actually managed to play relatively well today, and were mostly outside despite the threat of rain.

The dead coffee maker inspired a trip to a store in the Small City, at which we also got some desperately needed shoes for Cubby, and socks and sunglasses for me. Because I like to spoil myself with fripperies. No one had a breakdown in the store and I only had to threaten Cubby and Charlie once for unauthorized cart pushing with Jack as the passenger.

There were enough leftovers in the refrigerator to have a tasty dinner without any actual cooking.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse. It could have been like this infamous day during Winter Break, for example.

One day down, six more days of Spring Break to go.


No comments: