Tuesday, August 12, 2008

SURPRISE!

Hold onto your head, Jive Turkey . . .

CHIIIIIIICKS!!!

I know I said we wouldn't be getting any chickens until spring. I lied. Not intentionally, though. See, what happened was, the MiL went on a camping trip with her sister this week, and on the way home, she drove past a sign on a back road in the hills advertising eggs and chickens for sale. The MiL was, understandably, very disappointed about the failure of the hatchery to actually HATCH THEIR DAMN EGGS, so she bought six chicks from this crazy lady who is trying to create her own breed of chicken. Whatever. The MiL arrived back at home this morning, bearing chicks.

They're some indeterminate cross, and we don't know yet whether they're male or female. They're about three weeks old, so they have a little bit of a head start, which is good. Mia is fascinated with them.

So the coop will not be lonely and silent all winter, and if all goes well, we could have eggs by the new year. Wheeee!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could they be more darling? I would totally get chicks, if my dog wouldn't eat them.

SaraPMcC said...

Aaaaaawwwwwwwwww!

It's me said...

...this crazy lady who is trying to create her own breed of chicken...

Why does this sound so ominous?

Anonymous said...

Oh! So cute! Their feet don't even look scaly at all! It just makes me sad that they have to grow up into evil, evil chickens one day.

Sweet Bird said...

Oooh! I'm so happy for you! We raised chickens when I was very little, beyond the horrendous smells they produce (what is the deal with chicken manure?) they were great. And nothing's better than fresh eggs!

MsPicketToYou said...

Can I have one?

Anonymous said...

Ok they are not pets....they are chicken fried legs.....maybe there's a recipe out there for fried chicken legs with fried beets?

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Congrats on the new babies!!! Gawd, they are SO cute! (I want one!) :D

Anonymous said...

Hee! I just went to the state fair with my kids on Sunday, and of course we went to the "animal learning center" where they have newborn animals of various species, including chicks and ducklings. And I thought to myself, if I had a blog (which I don't, because I am lazy) I would take pictures of these cute fuzzy CHIIIIIICKS and DUCKLIIIIINGS for my cyber-acquaintances Jive Turkey and Kristin. So I'm glad to see that my non-existent photos would be extraneous anyway.

Yay for cheepy little chickies!

Anonymous said...

IIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

No lie: just this morning I was telling Brad about the whole No Chicks debacle (we have really strange conversations on the way to work), and then I checked your blog and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! My day is officially made.

I know, I know: NOT PETS. I just wish I could hear their little peeps.

God...go to bed, crazy bird lady.