Sunday, August 10, 2008

This Silver Queen Is GOLDEN, Baby

I have alluded to the freakish height of our corn a few times. I've even shown you some photos. But what I have not done is given you a picture with a size comparison. But now, so you may fully appreciate the absolutely RIDICULOUS height of our Silver Queen corn, here I am standing in the Giant Corn Forest. I'm 5'5". The corn is . . . Well, the corn is freakish. If the corn were in the Olympics, it would be tested for performance-enhancing drugs. The corn would be allowed to compete, though, as I do not believe the Olympic Committee has banned turkey shit as a performance enhancer. And of course, if the corn were in the Olympics, it would be its own basketball team.



I bet it would have a wicked half-court shot.


Can you tell I tuned in to The Games last night?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly see you in the picture....Looks like the corn is trying to swallow you up. Better be careful that this isn't another version of "attack of the killer tomatoes". *grin*

SaraPMcC said...

How tall is corn supposed to grow? Because that's craziness.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you don't have to detassel that shit.

Do you need a stepladder to pick the ears?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sara: Well. I just looked up how high Silver Queen normally gets. The answer is about 6.5 feet (ours is at least 11 feet), but I did stumble across some weirdo giant vegetable forum where the people were bragging about corn that got to 25 feet or something. But then they mentioned that corn over 20 feet never has time to actually form mature ears, because it spends all its time growing the stalk. And what the hell is the point of corn you can't EAT?

RLS: Nope, the ears are all reachable without a ladder. Thank God.