Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Day for Honor

Today is Veterans Day. For those of you who have the day off of work, you'll have no trouble remembering that. For those of you who still have to go to work, it will be harder to remember. So I'm here to remind you. Remind you that this is the day set aside to remember and honor every person who has served in our armed forces during a war.

My father was in the Air Force for 27 years. His father was in the Army Air Corps in World War Two. His brother was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. There is no doubt at all that those experiences shaped those men, for better or for worse. I remember my dad telling me when I was in high school that nobody wants peace more than those who have been soldiers.

So today, please remember and honor in your thoughts all those soldiers who have served in a war. And if you pray, say a prayer for them. For them, and for peace.


7 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. I don't think our country makes a big enough deal out of Veterans Day (and I'm not just saying that because I have to work today...)

Dr Zibbs said...

I fully support our Vets.

Sweet Bird said...

This was very sweet, thank you.

I asked my husband what he wanted to do for Veteran's Day and he said sleep. So, I'm thinking their list of desires goes 1. Peace 2. Sleep?

All joking aside, I agree with jiveturkey. Americans do little more than set aside a day on the calendar every year to celebrate their veterans. It's very sad.

mil said...

I saw this touching article on the UK's last surviving WWI flyer:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27646518/

FinnyKnits said...

I doubt this will surprise you, but my grandpa was a tail-gunner in the Army Air Corps in WWII, too.

Peace all.

Anonymous said...

Will do. Love the pic. For some reason, ever since last Tuesday, that flag looks so beautiful to me. Not sure why. :)