Wednesday, November 12, 2008

R.I.P. Bambi

Hey! Guess what! There's a dead deer hanging in my shed! And it's not even 8:30 in the morning! Now don't you want to hear THIS story? Thought so.

This morning at 6:15 I was mostly awake, waiting for the alarm to go off at 6:30, when I heard the squealing of brakes on the road out front. I figured someone had slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a deer. But I didn't hear the car drive off afterwards. Ten minutes later, the MiL knocked on our door to tell us that someone had hit a big buck out front. A.'s first response was that we didn't need the meat. And I was grateful, because he shot a deer during hunting season last year. Which we butchered. By ourselves. Thanksgiving morning. It took five hours. An experience I was not eager to repeat.

But then he was very quiet, and I could tell he was thinking. Finally I sighed and said, "You want to go get that deer, don't you?" But of course he wanted to get the deer.

So we got out of bed, got dressed, and went down the driveway. The guy who had hit the deer was parked in our driveway and the deer was damn near on our front lawn. Well. It was obvious we would have to dispose of the thing somehow, or else the dogs would be on it in two seconds. So we stood there talking to the poor guy whose mini-van was now crumpled like tinfoil until the sheriff arrived.

Apparently, the sheriff always comes for road kill deer. He has to tag it, so the DEC knows about it, I guess. But it is perfectly legal for anyone to take the deer when it's been tagged. You don't need a hunting license or anything. So the sheriff took A.'s drivers license information, handed him the tag, and we were now the legal owners of a very dead, very fat, 8-point buck.

We pulled it into the back of the truck and drove it up to the house. Then A. field-dressed it. Meaning he slit it open and gutted it. But it wasn't in the field. It hadn't been killed in a hunt. It had been killed when a large car slammed into it, and it was not neat inside. It was bloody and messy and frankly totally disgusting. Even A. was gagging a little, mostly because some of the intestines had split open. You know what's in the intestines, right? Yeah.

Anyway, he eventually got it dressed and we trussed it up to hang over a beam in the shed to cool down. There is some doubt that the meat will be any good at all, due to the trauma. But we figured that even if we can't eat it, the dogs can, and at least it's off the road.

After we finished spilling blood and guts all over the grass near the shed, A. went off to shower and go to work. I started sloshing water around to clean out the bloody truck bed, the bloody buckets we had used, the bloody shovel we had scooped the insides up with, the bloody watering cans we had used to rinse out the cavity of the deer. Then I dropped our bloody clothes in the wash. And I felt like I had been through a whole day already, and it was only 8 a.m.

Country livin'. Ain't nothin' like it.

22 comments:

Leslie said...

What can you say to that? I'm torn between "eeww" and "awesome"! I always knew you were hardcore, but wow!

Tina Post said...

yeah... Um... yeah...

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I had a hard time READING about that. And it's nearly 9:15.

So, gross question: what do you do with all the deer guts? Toss them in the woods somewhere? Let the dogs have a go? I'm filled with morbid fascination!

SaraPMcC said...

Wow. Why did I read that?

Anonymous said...

I can picture it. *sigh* "You want to go get that deer, don't you?"

Hee!

Sweet Bird said...

ummm...wow

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I'm finding these comments HILARIOUS. I get the distinct impression that I have rendered many of you speechless. And not because you're impressed, but more because you're kind of horrified. You thought I was kidding about being a woodchuck, didn't you? Nope, not kidding.

No, J.T., the dogs do not get to have a go at the guts. They could get worms, and would certainly throw up. So we put them in a bucket. And then A. ran over the bucket with his truck (my fault--I had left it in a bad place), so then we put them back in the cracked bucket and put them in a trash bag. Because if there's anything more fun that cleaning up deer guts once, it's doing it TWICE. We'll bring them to the dump on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Running over the deer guts still has me laughing. Appropriate, considering how the morning turned out. The bucket visual is great; however, I've decided not to visualize the whole dressing part.

krysta said...

ummm... good morning?!

hey i got a stupid question on the cooking side of this whole thing...

the meat is it still good? i'm figuring the meat that wasn't in a wrestling match with the car is good... but i've heard that meat that has been through trauma isn't as good? is that true? and if the intestines burst does it poison the meat?

i know it's stupid but i kinda find this fascinating.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That's not at all stupid, Krysta.

We're not sure how much of the meat will be good. Yes, animals that have suffered trauma before death (like when hunters shoot an animal that runs for a ways before it dies) will have an off flavor. Some kind of hormone or something the animal releases when it's stressd will taint the meat. But that's assuming the animal was alive for awhile after the trauma. If this deer was killed on impact (which seems likely because the guy was going pretty fast), we won't have that problem.

We got it gutted, cleaned, and hung to cool fairly quickly, which will help. The stuff from the intestines didn't really get all over or anything, and we flushed the cavity out with water, so we'll see. Meat, especially wild game, has to hang for a few days at least, which tenderizes it and makes the meat less gamy. We'll probably cut it up this weekend, and then we'll see what kind of shape the various cuts are in.

It's me said...

I'm envious. We haven't had venison in ages. Good on ya.

jean said...

Hmm, I have to say that I'm very impressed. I would have no clue and honestly no interest in doing all that work. But you have made the best of a bad thing which is great. I don't suppose you took any pictures? Morbid curiosity.

Susan said...

I'm not only rendered speechless but I'm sitting here slack-jawed and berating myself for gagging if I have to cut a chicken. Morbidly curious and suitably impressed as well.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Damn, I'm glad I had a busy morning. (In a totally suburban office job sense of "busy" that is. Back-to-back-to-back meetings.) So I didn't have time to read this until after lunch.

I'm actually pretty OK with blood, but I've smelled things before that, shall we say, didn't die well. It is distinctive. And memorable.

inadvertent farmer said...

I read this earlier but was to dunbfouned to reply...

Still nothin'

FinnyKnits said...

I don't know why, out of all of the craziness in that story, the one line that sticks out for me is, "...or else the dogs would be on it in two seconds."

That, to me, says Country Livin' even more so than hanging a deer carcass in one's barn.

Roger A. Post said...

Excellent job, Kristin and A.! Just cut out the badly bloodshot meat when butchering and it will be fine. You'll be able to tell what is bloodshot because it will look more like a big clot than meat. Hopefully, the liver survived intact so MiL can fry it up. Fried strips of heart are good, too, but very rich.

krysta said...

okay, i'm glad it wasn't a stupid question... a small town city girl has got to know!

MsPicketToYou said...

i hit a deer once. it sucked and was horrifying. what sucked more was when i turned on the AC months later and really stinky dear hair came shooting out the vents. i was covered in it when i drove into the ditch. and that's as close as i ever want to be a dear ever again because oh.my.god.

inadvertent farmer said...

I'm back...your story was on my mind all day. I must say that I'm very impressed as well as slightly grossed out, been waffling between the two!

A bird hit our window this morning and I thought that was bad, after reading your post I forgot all about little birdie!

Julie said...

What a way to start your day. Sheesh! I hope PETA doesn't catch wind of this :P

Mia said...

i dunno, but it sounds a little sketchy to take a chance on eatin' it knowin' the intestines were opened..

I'm so laughing at the comments everyone else made :) crakin' me up those people. But Country livin' IS gross sometimes :) I remember my dad guttin' many a deer when I was kid, but he was such an expert it was usually pretty quick and neat, and I have a book that tells me how (in case i run out of every other food item i have)... but i sure hope I never have to :)