Friday, March 20, 2009

There's No Place Like Blackrock

When A. and I rolled into the driveway at 10:30 p.m. last night, the sheep yelled at us, Otty came running up to greet me at the car door, and we immediately went to see the puppies, which appear to have tripled in size. Maybe the MiL is feeding them steroids?

The forsythia branches I had cut before I left and put in a vase of warm water in the house to bloom* were actually blooming. How nice that I left a vase of dead-looking sticks and came back to a vase of flowers. The magic of Blackrock. The eggplant and pepper seeds I planted before I left have not yet sprouted, but I remain hopeful. The MiL planted lettuce in the garden while I was gone, the crocuses are coming up in the magnolia tree bed, and A.'s pond has grown in size due to rain and flooding.

Spring is coming to Blackrock, and I've come home just in time.

* In case you care, this is called "forcing," because you force the plant to bloom before it naturally would outside.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the puppy pictures???

Phoo-D said...

I was thinking about 'forcing' a few Japanese lilac branches. We should try it! Glad you are home for Spring - sounds lovely.

Susan said...

Welcome Home! I missed you!

FinnyKnits said...

Welcome home you big forcer, you ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. Can't wait to read about more adventures of your trip. Julie

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! So, are you all tan? Or do you return from vacation even pastier than when you left, like I do?

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! We missed you!

krysta said...

yea!!! you're home...

jean said...

Welcome home. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Was that nice enough? Cause what I really wanted to say was, "Where are the photos".

Anonymous said...

As wonderful as travel is, it's always more wonderful to get home. Welcome back!