Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fashion for the Under One Set

In no particular order . . .

Just who decided that pants for three-month-old children need pockets? What are they supposed to carry around in there? Cellphones? Car keys?

I am really, REALLY beginning to hate snaps. No, not beginning--I DO hate snaps. Changing Cubby requires doing up the snaps on his diaper cover, then the snaps on the onesie, and then, at night, the snaps all the way up his sleeper. By the time I'm done, my patience is gone and my fingers hurt. Really, they hurt from those snaps. HATE.

While hooded sweatshirts for infants are incredibly adorable, the adorableness is significantly reduced when the hood part falls entirely over MY infant's face while he is sleeping. A pretty notable drawback to putting him in overly-large clothing. But he's not newborn or three-month size anymore*, and the 3-6 month sizes are still a little too big. Hence the adorable suffocation factor of large hooded sweatshirts. Just give him a few weeks, and then those sweatshirts will fit perfectly. And then be too small in about three days.

This children's clothing thing is exhausting.

* No, he is NOT three months old yet; he's not even TWO months old yet. My child is a behemoth. And that's why I'm always so damn hungry.

13 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

just wait - it only gets worse.....bout the time they hit 8 they slow down and don't grow QUITE so fast......lol
kris

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe that "Snapping Snaps on a Screaming and Squirming Baby's Clothing at 4am" should be an Olympic sport. I thought I'd get more adept at it with time. No. No, I have not.

Garden Pheenix said...

They have these brilliant draw string clothes for babies now - pop over head, falls down past feet, drawstring. SO very easy :c)

sheila said...

They out grow everything so quickly that first yr. I always advocate for used and hand me downs. It's eco friendly and besides, it's the Woodchuck Way! Way too many people spend tons of money on clothing that will most likely only be worn a couple of times before it is too small. It's better to save the money for a college fund than to have matching outfits on an infant. Besides even if you do your best to make them dressed for success the kid will have puked,peed or pooped on some part of their clothing before you can get the picture taken. Go for comfort and too big is always better than to small.

Anonymous said...

I vote A. gets a turn every once in awhile. :) Wonder why they don't use velcro? I guess cleaning might be a problem with #2.

Wait till summer and he can go nekked. Beth Not A. ... cubby.


word verification 'nozopmoc'

what cubby does with his little fisties when mommies face protuberance gets too close to them....ouchie

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Keep a onesie! Pack it away and bring it out on his first birthday. You'll be amazed that that tiny little thing used to be too big.


Word verification: cooreand -- common herb in Mexican cooking, also known ass ciilantr.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: AMEN. So far, we have purchased all of ONE item of clothing for this boy. All the rest came from gifts and hand-me-downs. And many of the gifts came from a children's consignment store that I have yet to visit myself but will when Cubby outgrows all his clothes. Which should be in about, oh, 24 hours.

Beth: In the interests of fairness, I must say that A. does his share of diapering. He's even better at it than I am, since we use the old-fashioned kind that need to be folded and he seems to have mad origami diapering skills. Who knew?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Why do people think men can't handle kids? Okay, aside from all the obvious examples of guys who can't, but they don't count.

I was the resident swaddle origami master. I could get the girls wrapped up like little egg rolls in about 20 seconds flat, and they couldn't move until we wanted them to.

Sophie said...

My kids are out of the onesie/diaper/snap-up outfit stage, and into the growing-too-tall-for-pants-in-5-minutes stage (and don't even get me started on shoes!!)...but my job as a nurse involves 12-hour shifts with 10-15 newborns. OMG, do I ever agree with you about snaps!!

Anonymous said...

Better snaps than buttons?

Daisy said...

Yep, my boy was a behemoth, too. Both my kids were the same size at birth, but he grew, and grew, and grew -- thank goodness for motherly food supplies. I would have gone broke buying formula.

Alicia said...

Not that it matters to Cubby who can sleep in broad daylight, but the hood part falling over the kid's face while he's sleeping might actually help filter out the stuff that keeps normal children awake.

I remember in college I used to use my hoodie hood to filter light and sound when I'd randomly fall asleep at my friend's house after I'd been up for, oh, a couple days.

Sherry said...

Kristin, I gotta hand it to you! I am surprised you still find time to write - quality! - posts with a newborn in the house. God Bless you! I for one, truly enjoy your posts.