Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Serious Oversight

I don't know what I could have been thinking yesterday, posting about my loathing of snaps (seriously--HATE) and various other inconsequential thoughts about children's clothing when there was REAL news to share.

We ate the last of the potatoes*.

I KNOW. I always experience a moment of panic at this point, when I'm pulling the last, sad, sprouting potatoes from their boxes in The Pit of Despair and contemplating the months ahead. Months when I will not have hundreds of pounds of potatoes sitting in my cellar, awaiting their date with destiny in the form of my potato masher. It makes everything feel very unstable somehow. As if my anchor in this uncertain world has been suddenly wrenched away. I mean, I can't just make french fries whenever I feel like it now. Or mashed potatoes. Or roasted potatoes. Or Julia's potato salad. Or . . . well. It's just all very sad.

Now just remind me of this feeling when I'm bitching about hilling the growing potatoes in the garden, okay? Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I realize I could go to the store and buy as many potatoes as I want. It's just not the same. Trust me.

* I also used the last shallot yesterday, but shallots don't inspire such angst. For me, anyway.

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I'm the same way. I feel better because I planted 4 rows of potatoes yesterday and hopefully will plant a few more rows today.

I feel better because I have a freezer full of venison and a lot of canned goodies still in the basement pantry.

I guess without potatoe the pit really is a pit of despair.

Alicia said...

you can grow potatoes in a basement?!?!?!

Things a southerner doesn't know...
huh.

Oh, by the way, question: What's the floor of your basement? My parents-in-law have a NY 150 yr old house and their floor is still dirt. Did someone eventually come along and pave yours?

SaintTigerlily said...

Sadness for you my dear. To everything turn, and there is a season, etc.

But you know that.

Here's to a wicked big potato crop!

Anonymous said...

Must plant more 'taters this year. Especially with your appetite. We grow for a farmer's market. We planted 15 rows 280 ft. long. We have a cellar(which has a dirt floor) for storing ours and we still have potatoes in really good shape. You can plant them again in late June early July for a late crop and they will keep in better shape longer...just for your info. After you take something else out(an early crop) you can plant potatoes there. Love me some 'taters here. Beth

word verification 'pareen'

what Mil birdies do too their
fa-eathers

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Alicia: Paved? The Pit of Despair? HAHAHAHA.

No. Which means we probably COULD grow potatoes down there if we had a grow light. But we don't grow them there--just store them.

Daisy said...

I hope your potato crop is bigger and better this year, making all the hilling worthwhile.

FinnyKnits said...

I know the feeling. Don't give in! Don't go to the store! And also don't think about potato hilling yet.

We have just one bag of frozen tomatoes left and then we're done with tomatoes until probably July, when the first one will hopefully ripen.

I can't believe that the two of us went through 10 1/2 pints and 8 gallons of tomatoes.

That's craziness.