Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bandwagon, Here I Come!

Allow me to jump on the particular bandwagon of Superbowl food today, yes?

You knew the Superbowl is this weekend, right? If you didn't, not to worry. In a normal year, I wouldn't know either, because I pay less than maximum attention to football. In fact, I pay NO attention to it, or any other televised sports. But I do pay attention to my family, all of whom are passionate Green Bay Packers fans. Except my mom. She's a fan, but only because she's married to my father, who is from Milwaukee. It might have been in her marriage vows that she's obligated to cheer for the Packers.

ANYWAY.

The rest of my family watches all the Packers games all season long. I do not. Not that I could, as they're not often broadcast here and we don't have a sports channel. But I did watch the play-off game with the Packers and the Bears. Well, as much as I COULD watch while entertaining Cubby at the same time. Luckily, he thought it was somewhat entertaining when I would clap and say, "Go Pack go!" so that helped.

Maybe I should get to the food part now? Right.

So the Packers are in the Superbowl this year, and I must watch. My dad is sending Cubby a little Packers sweatsuit and me a sweatshirt, so we'll be appropriately garbed for the game. The only thing left is appropriate food. I am aware that it should include bratwurst, but . . . I don't really like bratwurst all that much, so probably not. What I DO like? Chips and dip. God, I love chips and dip. It's the main reason I go to Superbowl parties. Salsa, guacamole, seven-layer, French onion, whatever. If I can dip chips into it, I'm happy.

And now, duckies, please share with me your favorite Superbowl food. Who knows? I might end up making it and eating it while wearing my Packers sweatshirt.

16 comments:

Rae said...

JalapeƱo artichoke cheese dip. Hot out of the oven. Unfortunately, I've been making it for so long, I judge it by consistency and flavor and don't really know the ingredient quantities. Just that it has really good fattening stuff like mayo, sour cream, parmesan, and cream cheese. If we ever get unpacked, and I find the recipe, I'll share it. If. :)

Phoo-D said...

I request a picture of Cubby! His outfit sounds adorable. I'm right there with you on the chips and dip. I love watching the Super Bowl and of course, mostly because of the food!

Sherry said...

Cream Cheese Ball:

2 8 oz. packages Cream Cheese
1 small can crushed pineapple, well drained
finely chopped onion, 2 to 3 tablespoons
finely chopped green bell pepper, 2 to 3 tablespoons
1 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Blend together cream cheese, pineapple, onnion and bell pepper, and half cup of the nuts. Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill several hours. When ready to serve, roll in the remaining nuts. DELICIOUS with crackers!

Anonymous said...

We all must go to Rae's help her unpack and share that delicious sounding dip.
Yes, chips are like spoons you can eat....yum ...chips and dip.
Fried bacon, fried ground turkey, smashed great northern beans(I use canned for ease) mixed with taco seasoning,grated cheese, salsa over top. Either put in crock pot or baking dish heat through , melt cheese on top. Dip with chips or just put chips on plate and scoop some over the chips. Beth

word verification - intivent

where the dryer lint gets stuck

mil said...

Green Bay: green and gold. Clearly it has to be guacamole and yellow corn chips.

I suppose one could eat celery and velveeta, but that sounds too disgusting for words.

Seren Dippity said...

Redneck Queso

1lb Velveeta
1lb ground breakfast sausage browned and crumbled
1 can of rotel tomatoes (mild - regular - spicy: your choice)

Put it all together in a crock pot. Stir occasionally as cheese product melts. Once it is all totally melted and mixed together dip with Tostitos or Fritos.

I understand rotel tomatoes may not be available in some Northern locations. You can substitute your favorite chunky salsa product and get similar results.

I usually have to double this cause people get mean when there is not enough to go around.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear! On Super Bowl Sunday, I make arrangements to leave the house. So I will be having brunch, food made by some chef! Mary in MN

Just Me said...

I'm a Packers fan, but don't always watch all games. But I will be watching the superbowl. And probably eating cheese and crackers with mustard since it will probably just be me and my 14 month old.

sheila said...

Not into watching sports, but if I were I'd make pulled pork sandwiches to eat while I watched the game. Pulled pork is good for any occasion!

Stephanie said...

Jalepeno poppers or chips and a meaty queso dip are always at the top of my wish list.

Daisy said...

Cheese! Get yourself some good cheeses!

And teach that little Cubby to raise his arms in the air and shout "Touchdown!" Green Bay babies learn "Touchdown" before "So Big" ever enters the lexicon.

Anonymous said...

Yep, we will have to have pics of Cubby doing the touchdown field goal pose. ;) Beth

Susan said...

Buffalo chicken wings with bleu cheese dip. Go Packers!!

Anonymous said...

Buffalo chicken dip for me! It's like eating buffalo wings without all the mess. As a side note, my husband is a diehard Steelers fan, so I guess that makes us mortal enemies? :)

jive turkey said...

Meatball subs & taco dip. And, of course, a nice frosty beer. My lord, I feel bloated just typing that.

(p.s. -- Sherry's cheese ball recipe is exactly the same as my MIL's recipe, and I can vouch for it being AWESOME. When I was pregnant, I ate an entire cheese ball by myself at 10pm).

(p.p.s. -- GO STEELERS! (Sorry))

FinnyKnits said...

This is really late, since the Superbowl has passed and all, but YES ME TOO!

I had to share my love of chips and dips with someone else with whom I already share so much in common.

All-time fave though is sour cream and onion dip with regular Lay's potato chips. HOLY. I could eat my body weight in that stuff. Especially if I have some champagne to go with it. Sound ridiculous? IT IS. But also good.

I dare you to try it. Actually, I dare you NOT to try it and then love it. YUM.