Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Speaking of Shoes . . .

Of course we were speaking of shoes. Two days ago. Keep up, kids.

So! Shoes! Specifically, shoe sizes. I have a perfectly average, respectable foot. Size 8, not narrow or wide or with weird toes that make shoes fit oddly. Unfortunately, I don't think Cubby got my pretty, easy feet. I think he got his father's feet.

A. has wide feet, as does the MiL. They can't wear normal shoes. A. wears a size 11 1/2 wide. Not 11 and not 12, and certainly not an average width. The selection of shoes in that size tends to be somewhat limited. It's a weird size. It makes shoe shopping harder, if you want a lot of choice. Or, depending on your viewpoint, easier because all you have to do is find that size and take what there is.

When I bought shoes for Cubby this past weekend, I ended up getting a size 7. Size 7 is, predictably, quite large for a year-old child. But then, Cubby is generally larger than a year-old child. I also found that baby shoes come in wide sizes. Imagine that. So I got him the wide size, because his little toes and feet are shaped just like his daddy's. Which means I now have two hard-to-fit boys to shoe shop for. Boo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As fast as Cubby is growing ...you are in for YEARS of fun. Beth
word verification- oparrocc

"TOMMY" / Roger Daltry

Alyssa said...

Get that A. into some Aurora Shoes - they cap out at his size and they come in D widths. The leather forms around your feet and they are so comfy.

**This is not a commercial, I just think if he tried them he'd like them :)**

jive turkey said...

Wow! Sadie just got into a 6. She has my narrow feet, though, which means she will go through life like me, her heels perpetually flopping out of dress shoes with every step she takes.

Sherry said...

All my shoes come from Zappos.com. Can't beat them for selection, customer service - they are the best.

RooosterChick said...

Trust me, when the time comes that you need someone to help push a dead car, you'll appreciate those strong, wide feet! It's the one time mine come in handy. :)

Sister’s Sailor said...

I get my non-athletic shoes at : http://www.altrec.com They normally have some deals there and are normally cheaper by at least 10% than the stores (to include shipping). Plus they have an outlet side and they also carry big sizes and widths. For my athletic shoes I go to www.eastbay.com. A might even be able to find something to wear to the office and feel comfortable in at the same time!

Oh and on the shoe size thing, my "little one" just started wearing 8-8.5's recently and she is 9...but my shoe size and age were the same from about 6 to 15 or so (luckily my feet have “shrunk” to a 14-ish thanks to wrestling). Hope that doesn't happen for you!

Word Verification: Conse

Appalachian pronunciation of I cannot say.

Daisy said...

Narrow and tiny feet are hard to fit, too. My husband and daughter both have narrow feet; daughter at age 24 can still buy child sized shoes at times. She often buys from catalogs because stores don't stock adult-style shoes in her size.

FinnyKnits said...

If only your lifestyle allowed it - Birkenstocks fit those kind of feet.

Though I can hardly see A. chopping wood or herding sheep through snow in Birks.