Monday, February 7, 2011

I Expect My Thank You Note Any Day Now

For those of you who may not have watched the Superbowl last night or seen any news this morning, the Packers won. I will take some credit for this, as I made the supreme sacrifice of staying up past ten o'clock to cheer them on. I KNOW. Last year the Saints won because I sat my very pregnant self in a chair to watch the whole game, this year the Packers won because I stayed up way past my bedtime.

I think the NFL teams should all bid on me to be their good luck charm, don't you?

ANYWAY.

Because I am not a true, pure football fan, I can now move on to the other important parts of the Superbowl: the halftime show and the commercials.

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the halftime show. I mean, I like the Black Eyed Peas, but the whole space agey theme with the dancers plastered in glow sticks and all just didn't do it for me. Then, partway through their set, I heard that guitar riff. And I said (out loud, yes),"What? They're sampling Guns 'n' Roses now? Oh no."

BUT THEN. There was Slash. Slash! The real Slash! Minus the ever-present cigarette I recall from Guns 'n' Roses' heyday, but still. There he was, actually playing that guitar riff. Awesome.

Fergie did a good job with the song, I thought, though she maybe went a little overboard with the gyrating around Slash. I think she was trying to channel Axl Rose, but it didn't work so well. Slash didn't seem to pay any attention to it, however, true to character. Slash totally redeemed the whole halftime show in my opinion.

As for the commercials, I thought they were mostly really, really lame. Also, a little much with the car commercials. Honestly, how many more cars can the consumer market absorb? My favorite commercial, I think, was the one for Teleflora with Faith Hill. You know, the one where she encourages the guy to write a note to the object of his affection, to just write what his heart tells him to write, and he writes something like, "Dear Kate, Your rack is really awesome." And then he says, "My heart told me to."

Loved it.

And thus ends my recap of the Superbowl and its attendant entertainments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the whole game and I live in WI! I am just not that much into football. I agree, Slash made up for the lame hafe time show. My fav comm was the doritoes were he sucks on the guys finger to get that last bit of fake cheese goodness!

tu mere said...

All Packer fans truly appreciate you and, I'm sure at least for part of the time, Cubby's commitment and help. Since the Pack won, you can proudly wear your Packer clothes when they arrive(thanks Mother Nature for the delay), and take lots of pictures of what y'all would have looked like on Superbowl Sunday. The year couldn't get any better right now for your dad!

Anonymous said...

my 6 year old was sitting on the couch when the teleflora commercial aired and asked "what's a rack?" laughed so hard!

christine

Anonymous said...

My favorite commercial was the Darth Vadar/Volkswagen story--in which the little boy zaps the car and it starts. Cut to the parents standing in the kitchen with the remote starter! What a great little family story.

Just Me said...

I like the one where the guy swerved around a beaver while driving. Then later is driving down the same road and a tree fall into the road, stopping him from going to the bridge that washed away, and the beaver was on the side of the road...

Daisy said...

We in the greater Green Bay area are SOOO EXCITED!!! We were in the car yesterday for several hours and we listened to the Packer Radio Network all the way, reliving our favorite moments. Daughter and I are actually going to the Return to Titletown party this afternoon at Lambeau Field! w00t!!! Packers! Super Bowl Champions!!
As for Cubby's duds? He can wear them with pride.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My favorite commercial was the pug completely leveling the guy to get to this doritos bag.
I have pugs.
This is not an over-exaggeration.
There are times when I feed them a piece of cheese that I barely get my hand back with all the digits.
Word Verification: Stall. What I'm doing right now at my desk instead of paperwork.

FinnyKnits said...

I'm going to try real hard not to get bogged down in ripping the Super Bowl half time show a new one right now, but did it seem a little too KISS-like with those crazy costumes?

Lame.

Though I was pleased to see Slash and agree that his was the only redeeming moment of the thing. Otherwise, halftime FAIL.