Thursday, February 10, 2011

Insensitivity

Have I mentioned that Cubby is not a sensitive child? At all. I'm not talking sensitive as in emotions (though I suspect that is also true), but sensitive as in physical discomfort. Loud or sudden noises have never bothered him; he runs around with cold hands and nose half the time but doesn't seem to notice that he's cold; if he bumps his head on something he gives the thing a quizzical look and moves along*. And yesterday, not so much as a squeal when he got a needle stuck in his vein.

I had to take him in to get blood drawn for a lead test, you see. They stuck that needle right into the vein in his inner elbow, he made one little whimper, and that was it. It was the most astonishing thing I've ever seen. Is he missing some nerve endings or something? Why doesn't he cry? And does this mean that he's going to play rugby when he's older?

* Unless he's tired and then there is WAILING and ANGER and MY HEAD IS BROKEN dramatics.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

He is probably a very secure little guy. He knows that the little hurts will be gone soon; mommy will take care of him.
I'd give credit to the lab tech, too; some are really good at sliding that needle in almost painlessly.

flask said...

rugby.

made me laugh.

maybe he'll be a mountain biker.

sheila said...

It is a bit his personality and the fact that you don't make a big deal out of little bumps. If you over reacted each time he took a tumble then Cubby would play to the audience and go all theatrical on you. He is a reflecting your inner calm. Plus Cubby is one of the cool kids.

Anonymous said...

Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask his doctor or nurse.
My sis in law, on the other hand, has one who cannot stand anything. Maybe, just count your blessings. Beth

Stephanie said...

My daughter is the same way. I take it as an added blessing as her best friend is super-overly-sensitive and it can be a little hard to deal with.