Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Boy Who Done Kicked My Ass

Who, me?

Yes, you, Cubby. You, my sweet, precious child, who absolutely and without any doubt refused to take a nap yesterday. There was much screaming at the very idea of being left in your crib, like, "WHAT KIND OF CRUEL MOTHER WOULD LEAVE ME HERE ALOOOONE?"

Except louder than all caps and much higher-pitched. Not unlike a demon had been unleashed in your room, in fact.

And so there was no nap. There was no break. There was no time for your mother to do anything that required even a brief respite from running after you. Things like showering. Or copy editing to make some much-appreciated cash money. Or, perish the thought, going to the bathroom alone. No time for any of that, because there was no nap.

I am going to pretend that this was a one-time thing. An aberration. That today we will resume our regular schedule of at least one nap. Just one. An hour. Please. It helps so much with my productivity. Not to mention my sanity and my patience for playing that game where I pop the pegs out of your hammering bench and make them "fly," which makes you howl with laughter but can get old when I've done it approximately forty times already and have not had even one minute to call my own.

It also helps with your mood. What child can be happy and smiley when they've been awake for twelve hours straight? Okay, actually, you were surprisingly chipper, if a wee bit hysterical. But still, you'll be happier if you take your nap.

Trust your mother. She knows best. Take your naps and the world is a better place.

6 comments:

Toni said...

Those days are the absolute worst. It's amazing how much your sanity is related to the sleep habits of someone else.

Anonymous said...

I never had trouble at bedtime with our daughter but naptime??? No go. Once she hit 1 year she never again took a nap. Criminey...I could have used one. I commiserate.

Anonymous said...

Treadmill + one small boy = power for your lights :)
Beth

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Man, I remember those days. Don't worry. When he's a teenager, you can get him back by waking him at 7:00am on the weekends! Gotta love a little of that parental revenge. haha.

tu mere said...

I'll have to share this with your sister-in-law, as she thinks her child is the only one who fights sleep. Keep trying. It's worth every screaming minute if he relents and falls asleep!

Phoo-D said...

I feel your pain. Screaming baby fighting nap as I type.