Saturday, September 17, 2011

Speaking of Those Paw Paws

Yesterday when Cubby and I had to go up to the pasture to round up some renegade sheep from the neighbors' property (thank God they work all day--most of the time when the sheep get out, the neighbors have no idea), I decided I should check on that paw paw tree I told you about while I was up there. You may recall I had said I've never even tried a paw paw, despite living here with this tree for five years now. So when I discovered they were ripe, I ate one, in the spirit of fruity adventure.

When I had asked the MiL a few weeks ago what paw paws taste like, she said like a cross between a banana and a mango. She was right. According to A., the paw paw is the northernmost fruit in a family of tropical fruits, so I guess it makes sense it would taste kind of like a banana. The texture is also reminiscent of a very ripe banana, except with very large seeds you have to spit out as you eat. I don't really like bananas all that much, so it wasn't my favorite. But it wasn't bad.

Cubby ate half of one, too. Then he asked for a second one, which he handled for a while, took one bite from, and then tossed on the ground where Mia promptly found it and ate it.

So the whole family got to enjoy the paw paws.

There were also about three persimmons that were ripe enough to eat. Cubby liked those, too. I guess I'll be going back up to the pasture in a week or so to collect persimmons for my little fruit junkie to get his fix. I haven't picked the Bosc pears yet, either. Lots of fruity fun to come!

That sounded funny, didn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my experience with pawpaws...they usually aren't ripe if they are still on the tree. Pick them and bring them in the house to sit on the counter until VERY aromatic...then they are better to eat and ripe. A lot of times the critters will get to them outside before they are ripe or they fall from the tree and you never see them.
So glad you have an adventurous fruit and veggie eater in your Cubby. That is wonderful. Beth
P.S. On the subject of hens laying where they ought....do you have a "dark nest" in their henhouse?

One in Ten said...

we have a paw paw in our yard, we just grew up eating them and when I do say something about them people look at me crazy I like them but dont get to them quick enough glad you got to enjoy them