Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting Away

I don't spend a lot of time fantasizing about vacation destinations, mostly because I'm a realist and know that the next vacation I take--in the distant future--is likely going to involve two small boys and a tent.

A.'s a big proponent of family camping, you know. And I fear that our two sons will agree with him. I find the concept to be about as close to hell as I can imagine, but I suspect that there are many road trips with propane stoves and sleeping bags in my future.

But let's not think about that now. Let's indulge in some escapism instead, shall we?

I don't have a particular destination in mind, I guess, but I think I would like to take a trip in which everything is done for me. Like all the arrangements getting to and from airports and all the hotel bookings, maybe even food. And now that I think about it, for maximum laziness, I suppose it would be in an English-speaking country, because I find attempts to communicate in other languages stressful, but would hate to rely on an interpreter. I've never been anywhere in the British Isles, actually.

Ooo, I know! Here's what I want to do: I want to go on a home and garden tour in England in which every detail is arranged for me via some travel agency like Cook's. Remember Cook's in the Agatha Christie novels? They did everything.

Yeah. A home and garden tour, preferably with some edible gardens involved.

Just as soon as I come into a fabulous inheritance from a mythical relative. And, uh, am not pregnant and all.

So, duckies! When you lull yourself into a stupor in your cubicle dreaming about fantastic vacations*, where do you envision yourself?

* Not that I used to do this when I spent my days in a cubicle. Ahem.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

The western coast of Ireland. Absolute beauty, a slow-paced, friendly lifestyle and they speak English. Been there twice and loved it. I highly recommend it.

Haley said...

I don't just fantasize about vacationing in Switzerland--I fantasize about moving there. I think about how clean all the streets are compared to Boston, and how pretty all the buildings are. I try to forget about how freaking expensive everything is there, though...

Anonymous said...

Somewhere isolated and quiet. OOh...I know, maybe a padded cell.

Jonathan Patzer said...

I live out in Oregon, so I have always dreamed of taking my first big vacation out to Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. I think that the best time to go would either be in spring when I can visit the gardens, or in autumn when the trees would be changing into yellow, orange, and red. Oooh, I would also have to take a train out there since I have always wanted to ride one.

Joellen said...

I plan fake trips to Ireland or Tuscany. I too would love to move to one of these places, and I often look at homes for sale there.

Daisy said...

I recommend Barbados. Stay at a Bed & Breakfast, and they'll do everything for you - from cooking to hiring a driver.

I do love the coasts. Taking a train to Seattle a few years ago was a highlight vacation. I'd do it again in an instant.

FinnyKnits said...

I fantasize about going back to the Cayman Islands. That place is unreal and Bubba and I had the most relaxing time since we stayed on the "wrong side" of the island where there weren't any people :)

Becky said...

If camping it must be, I recommend western Canada--stunning mountains and lakes, grocery shopping makes you feel like you might be in England or France, friendly folks, you can get a good dose of culture and history in Victoria, Cubby would love running the paths in Butchart Gardens (also stroller-friendly), and the campgrounds are really nice (maybe too civilized for A).

Becky in Utah

Sophie said...

Tahiti is my latest fantasy, although really anywhere with warm water, white sand, palm trees, and a spa would suffice...