Sunday, May 6, 2012

Q&A Because I Am Sick. AGAIN. GODDAMIT.

First Cubby was sick, then I was sick (AND HOW), then the MiL was sick.  Then Cubby got sick again, then A. got sick, and now I AM SICK AGAIN.

IT MAKES ME ANGRY. AND FAR TOO PRONE TO CAPS LOCKING.

But at least this cold is nothing like the soul-sucking plague that got me last time.  Still.  I feel I only have it in me to answer a couple of random questions before I have to go back to blowing my nose and coughing.

It's a glamorous life I lead.

So!  Questions.

1) Did you have to train the dogs to not go after the chickens, or do they just seem to "get it" on their own?  Oh, they had to be trained.  By which I mean shouted at whenever they chased chickens.  And I'm pretty sure some of our earliest chickens became doggie hors d'oeuvres.  But collies are, thankfully, fairly trainable when it comes to which animals are prey and which are not.  At this point, the chickens walk right past the dogs' noses and even jump in to peck at their bones (like meat bones for treats, I mean) on occasion with no repercussions.  But it took a little while to get to that point.


2) Are you going to keep all the girls (lambs) as you have in the past?  Nope.  In fact, I don't think we're keeping any of this year's lambs.  We just don't have the pasture for them.  Fourteen full-time sheep is about as much as we can manage on our limited acreage.  So some of these lambs will be sent to a livestock auction at a fairly early age--so we don't have to worry so much about depleting our pastures this summer with too many big sheep--and we'll keep several to raise to slaughter weight for us and some people who buy them from us in the fall.  But none of them are permanent residents.  So don't get attached.


Okay.  I have to go find a tissue now.  (DAMMIT.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon...healing thoughts headed your way.

Anonymous said...

This baby is going to come out with SO much immunity.(bright side?)
Hope this sick lasts for such a short time you are amazed. Beth

tu mere said...

Your sister-in-law just left looking much better than when she arrived with her cold/sinus infection/puffy dripping eye. Antibiotics + cold medicine - the wonders of science.

Guess I kind of got to vicariously experience your illness related trials and tribulations through 'K'. Too bad that sore throat wasn't just a morning fluke. Wish I could make it all go away, but, since that never has worked, soooo sorry. Heal fast.

Joan said...

Forgive me for saying this, but it's that crap weather you have. We on the other hand, experienced 90-degree days this weekend. So we might die of heat exhaustion 'round here, but no colds.

Phoo-D said...

Oh the joys of low immunity during pregnancy- hope you feel lots better soon!

FinnyKnits said...

Feel better, woman! Sheesh.

Sorry you feel like doo.